Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple Articles & Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2010, 02:06 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Have to echo the good words about Gomadic. Have been using their system for years, and as I add, drop, change devices, I only need to update my tips. I charge my iPhone, WM Phone, Zune, assorted BT devices, even my Sony Reader using tips from the Tip Exchange. I think their site needs a bit of help, as some options are hard to find, but they have a wide assortment of things the tips connect to, not just that combo charger shown. One of my favorites is a springy coiled cable with a standard USB on one end and the tip exchange connector on the other. You can use that to hook most anything to a PC/Laptop USB port, without having a ton of extra cable to deal with. They even make a retractable cable like that.

Only issue with this concept is that if you have 6 things to charge, 6 of the tips, and just one charger/cable, you have to do them one at a time. I would dearly love to see Gomadic pair up with Callpod and make a short (6") Callpod charger to Gomadic tip exchange cable. I'll take 6 of them.

BTW, you will find when checking for tips, some dvices show a charge tip, and a charge/sync tip, and they have different numbers. For example there are two numbers for many things with mini-USB connectors. What's the difference? Beats me, but in many cases if you try to use a charge/sync tip, plugged into a USB wall wart or car charger, your device won't charge, but it will with the charge only tip. So if there are two numbers, and you plan to charge and sync to a PC/Laptop, and think you might want to just charge from a wall wart/car thingy, save yourself the hassle and get both tips.

Last edited by Sven Johannsen; 03-04-2010 at 02:20 AM..