Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware > Toshiba Windows Phones

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2010, 06:57 AM
Gerard
Pontificator

Yeah, what is up with these designers who think mini-USB makes a satisfactory solution for audio connections? Mini-USB disconnects FAR too easily. Have these people never actually tried to use a headset with these connectors? I've been cut off in mid-conversation too many times, so I no longer use a headset unless I'm sitting still. At least with 2.5mm the thing would stay in place through a whole conversation, even it it meant using less than favourite headphone brands, or grafting a 2.5mm jack to one's favourite pair as I did once. With the HTC Kaiser I'm now using the mini-USB jack is hardly used, and yet power connection for charging tends to be dicey, and audio just the same. It's just not a good jack, even with the custom HTC variant and their own phone headset with matching jack. Besides which, unless one has made the jump to magnetic inductive charging, there's no way to charge while using the headset. Makes for too many interruptions in use. I could understand going with a single charge/audio jack in the name of simplicity on a waterproof model, where minimizing seals is quite important, but that's plainly not the situation with the K01.

Isn't it great though, that through all their trials, Toshiba is sticking with a 4" or larger screen on their flagship models? That's some serious understanding right there, that for committed PPC users, 4" is a minimum. It's so confining, having to do everything on a 2.5" or 2.8" screen. Even 3.5" as I had for quite a while there with a Dell X5 just isn't quite enough.