Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Other Apple Hardware

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2009, 12:36 AM
crimsonsky
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeffrey View Post
I've loved the mighty mouse and I agree that the scroll ball is it's best feature. At the same time, it is also it's most confounding. I learned to deal with an unresponsive ball by rolling it upside down very gently on a piece of lint free fabric with a drop of rubbing alcohol. Let it dry for a minute, turn it back on, and I'm in business. The left vs right click thing was just an occasional annoyance for me.

That being said, I did recently get a newTargus bluetooth mouse made for the mac. Instead of a scroll ball, it has an optical four-way scroll "window". I couldn't resist the prospect of not having to deal with a gunked up scroll ball. I'm still getting accustomed to it, but so far I like it. Also, it has separate left and right buttons plus two side buttons I'll add that I'm using SteerMouse for better ability to fine tune the controls (I also used this with my mighty mouse).

There's my two cents.
I'm with you on this. Right-clicking would drive me crazy, and this considering that I only normally have one finger on the beast. There are times I'd have to click 5 or 6 times before it would register. And let's not even talk about the ball!

I bought the same Targus BT mouse about a month ago and have been happy with it. It does take some getting used to, but right-clicking always works and the optical sensor doesn't get gunked up. I use the side buttons for Expose functions. Also, pressing down on the centre calls up Dashboard, just like the MM.

My only gripe with the Targus is that it isn't always discovered immediately when I reboot (I dual boot with Vista using Boot Camp) and it goes through the discovery screen. I've found that if I click a button a few times while booting, it'll find it, but if I forget to do so, it won't find it without going through the whole discovery routine again. Annoying, but not a deal-breaker.