Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Hardware & Accessories

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2009, 06:45 AM
k1darkknight
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to k1darkknight Send a message via Yahoo to k1darkknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobber View Post
My first impressions are they are offering it more as a Mobile Internet Device, rather than the PMP that the 605 is marketed as. If this is the case, then it's not a replacement for the 605, but a different offering altogether.
I've actually been looking into the Archos 7 for a month or two now, and from what I've seen, they're actually marketing it as both an internet AND media device.

Quote:
The 3 main dissapointing things for me personally are:
1. No flash version is offered. This is a personal preference as I use a helmet camera with my 605 to record snowboarding and biking trips. A HDD is too much at risk of a jolt from a fall and losing all the data.
True, there isn't a version that includes a memory card slot, but they offer accessories (like the a dock) that have two (I think) USB 2.0 ports. I don't know 100% for sure what all USB host features it supports, but I DO know it has mass storage support, and I believe even standard input devices, like keyboards & mice. Granted, separate storage wouldn't be practical while snowboarding or biking, but it gives you a way to offload (or onload) data, when you can sit still with the thing for a few minutes...

Quote:
2. The battery life is advertised as being worse than the 605. Not that the 605 is great, but you would think they would have improved on it.
Actually, according to Archos' own specs, is has 10 hours for video playback. Granted, that's without using the WiFi, or any other power-draining features at the same time, but still...how often are you going to be using WiFi and watching video, other than YouTube?

Quote:
3. With such a poor battery life, and the complaints about this from 605 users, why didn't they listen and put the removeable battery back like it used to be in older versions of the archos devices.
And finally, the Archos 7 (see above spec page) actually DOES have a removable battery pack. I haven't yet seen a replacement battery offered on their site, but give it time.

From what I've seen on various forums, it seems the biggest complaints from those who own either an Archos 5 or 7 is that Archos' support (both tech AND customer) is virtually nonexistent, and that the Flash support can be spotty on websites, particularly some of the more popular video sites, like hulu.com . On the other hand, users say it works just fine on YouTube, so any site that uses a virtually identical interface to theirs should work fine.