Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2009, 01:11 AM
ptyork
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Ferrari View Post
I'm infuriated that the battery is not removable. It may be the best battery in the known universe, but the idea that I would have to lose my computer for a day or so just to get the battery replaced, to me, is unacceptable. There's no reason they couldn't put those same cells in the same case with a removable form factor. None.
I agree 100%, but get used to it. This seems to be Apple's new "design language" or whatever. First iPods, then iPhones, then MB Airs, then MB Pros. What's left? Well, nothing portable except the 2 remaining MBs.

At first I thought the batteries had a new chemistry (like silver-zinc), but they are just lithium polymer with a slightly different manufacturing process that produce less round cells (more "rectangularer"?). The only "magic" that increases life seems to be in the built in management chips. Noting innately special/super-expensive at all. So we'll probably see this moved down-market in the next MB/MBP iteration. Unfortunately, this isn't "the best battery in the known universe."

MAYBE this is just an experiment to see if they should/shouldn't do it in the higher volume lappies, but I'm guessing it is the "future." 'Tis a shame...