Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple Software (iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2008, 04:04 AM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Windows Mobile Development Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Ferrari View Post
The Windows Mobile barrier to entry is pretty high and there are enormous amounts of garbage out there for WinMo. I know. I've used most of it and reviewed a bunch of it (check the 2006 Smartphone Mag Panel; I was on it). Making it expensive to be a WinMo developer hasn't ensured that what appears there any more or less succeptible to crapware and shovelware.
The last time I checked, you could get eMbedded C++ and the necessary toolkits for free from Microsoft. (And eMbedded C++ is still free.) They haven't updated it in a while (probably since .NET tools came out), so you're now limited to developing software that doesn't take advantage of any new APIs since WinMo 2003 SE or so, but the financial barrier to develop apps wasn't high.

If you want to get the latest Developer's Studio .NET, it is pretty high, but I don't know how much higher now (I didn't buy it).

Doesn't Apple charge about $100 to get in their developer program? It may not be as much as Microsoft's pay tools, but it's not cheap, either (especially if you're going to write freeware).

Steve