Apple Thoughts

Apple Thoughts - News & Reviews on all things Apple

Be sure to register in our forums and post your comments - we want to hear from you!

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > APPLE THOUGHTS > Apple Thoughts Site Updates

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2008, 02:03 AM
Joe Johaneman
Contributing Editor
Send a message via AIM to Joe Johaneman Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Johaneman Send a message via Skype™ to Joe Johaneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by caywen View Post
My main question to Microsoft as a developer is: What have you done for me lately?
For me, the answer is, very little. I'm a web developer, and in the web world, open source is where it's at. Microsoft doesn't ship with Open Source tools at all. My Mac came with Python, Ruby, Tcl, and GCC.

Quote:
But I don't care about desktop. I care about mobile, and Microsoft has hung us WinMo developers out to dry. WinMo7 is a year away, likely more. WinMo5/6 is crap to write applications for. And Microsoft refuses to share any real details on WinMo7 with developers.
I don't care too much about desktop either, other than apps I write for myself, and most of them are command line apps just because I'd rather not be bothered learning a widget library. I can use Tkinter in Python if I have to, but I generally don't need to.

As to Windows Mobile, my only contact with it was a guy who paid me to sync his phone for him (yeah, he couldn't figure out how to sync the phone.) To be fair, he was trying to sync it with Act, which isn't exactly intuitive. Other than that, I've never used a WinMo phone, but I've heard horror stories from developers.

Quote:
To keep WinMo devs, Microsoft has to release an early access SDK and emulator now. Never mind that they'll tip their hand - the competition is way past them anyways.
This has always been the problem with proprietary systems. Companies are so worried about the possible lose of R&D on their IP that they totally leave developers out in the cold. Apple can be as guilty as Microsoft on that one, but they've been somewhat okay with the iPhone SDK. I wish they were a little more transparent about why they reject some apps and let others in, but que sera. I don't write iPhone apps anyhow.

Quote:
Please, MS. Do something to keep me. Do something before this loyal developer buys a Mac and starts writing for iPhone! Oops! Too late.
Please MS. Do something to keep me. Support a REAL open strategy and ship with open source tools. Before it's too late. Oh wait, it already is.