Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Events

Old 09-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Chris Gohlke
Contributing Editor Emeritus

So I can dump programs recorded on my WMC directly to the Zune without a long conversion process? Will have to try, cool!

Old 09-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
I had a comment on DHT about international "roll out". Have you heard anything about if Zune will be available in Europe soon?
Not a peep. Their roll-out strategy is completely baffling to me...

Old 09-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gohlke View Post
So I can dump programs recorded on my WMC directly to the Zune without a long conversion process? Will have to try, cool!
No, I'm pretty sure they'll still need to be transcoded...this is just support for transcoding the new format.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:49 PM
inteller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
Not a peep. Their roll-out strategy is completely baffling to me...

well, just add lack of UNICODE support to that bafflement.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:56 PM
cearly
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn View Post
I just asked my Zune contact, and it turns out I was wrong - they did in fact add support for WTV in this 3.0 release. So you're good.
Good news!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:35 PM
netwiz
Neophyte

That's a really great report, thanks.

I'm going to have to replace my ageing (but fantastic) Rio Karma. Lack of EQ is a big issue for me. Probably the biggest issue is the lack of bookmarking. So audiobooks will pick up from where you leave off? Well whoopie! And what about my list of rock songs, and my list of classical music? Why can't they pick up from where I left off also? Why only books? The Karma can do this. I find that people who've never had this capability don't understand why it would be useful. A bit like email before it caught on - why would that be useful?

Last edited by netwiz; 09-15-2008 at 10:39 PM..

Old 09-16-2008, 05:28 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwiz View Post
And what about my list of rock songs, and my list of classical music? Why can't they pick up from where I left off also?
I guess I don't really understand this. Let's say I'm listening to music for an hour, I pause the music, I turn off my Zune, put it in my bag, and an hour later I take it out again. When I turn it on, it will show me the home menu. I press the back arrow once, and it will take me back to the song I was listening two an hour ago. So to me, this is it picking up where I left off. If I leave the Zune overnight it will go from sleep mode to off mode, and I'll lost my place in the music...is that what you're talking about? If so, I guess I don't get why that's important...but if it's important to you, that's cool.

EDIT: Ok, I guess with classical music where the arrangements are very long I could see wanting it to resume from where you left off, or maybe live concerts as well. I guess I just think of music in terms of sittings and I doubt I could remember exactly what I was listening to the day before.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:34 AM
netwiz
Neophyte

Like many people I have a few thousand songs on the mp3 player, and I also listen to stories and drama in mp3 format. Whether I downloaded them as podcasts or not is irrelevant. Why should that matter?

I have several bookmarks set up on the Rio. Depending on what I feel like at the time, I can pick up a story, drama, classical, rock, or any random list of my tracks (fast, slow) from where I left off. I like to randomise my songs, and listen to them all over time without repetition. If I have to start with a new randomisation each time, there'll be some songs I never hear.

I don't want to have to find my place in a story, or a drama, or a documentary each time I re-start the player. Why would I?

You could be reading a number of paper books at the same time, and you'd put a bookmark in them. It wouldn't make sense to have to flick through from page 1 each time to find where you are.

As I said, it's a feature that seems to be one of those things that unless you've used it you don't see the point, but once you have it, you love it.

I've seen others post the same idea, and I have a suspicion that because the Zune team don't get it they won't build it, rather than listening to what customers want.

I think I'll get a zen xfi 32gb. It has enough capacity, up to 10 bookmarks, good sound quality, small form factor, tactile controls, EQ, and a decent enough screen.

Thanks again for your review.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwiz View Post
I don't want to have to find my place in a story, or a drama, or a documentary each time I re-start the player. Why would I?
Thanks for the detailed explanation - I'll do my best to make some noise about this feature request with the right people on the Zune team.