Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2008, 02:46 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhsoftware
There is not a 2K difference, it's about a 1K difference from the current top of the line OQO to the new one. They have a three tiered line- good, better, best, where good is the one that hovers just over 1000 bucks, and their top of the line had hovered about 2K.
To be perfectly honest and clear - there's actually no difference between the price of this and the current "best" model. I'm just fascinated by the almost 2k difference between "good" and "best".

Quote:
And on the note of Wimax, according to the OQO CEO Dennis Moore, they were not shipping or even announcing support for WiMax, just providing a technology demo.
I got that impression as well, but only after I did a bit more research on other blog posts on the announcement. Good catch.

Quote:
On a somewhat related note, I personally don't understand how you can buy 32GB USB Flash drives for about 200 bucks, but have to pay upwards of 500 dollars for that same thing in an SSD Drive. It seems the disparity grows as you go to the 64GB SSD. Perhaps there is a different grade/speed of flash being used?
Very definitely - the type of flash used in memory cards and USB keys is good for (IIRC) a few thousand write operations before failure. That's ok for data storage, but they're obviously not going to last very long under typical x86 OS disk operations (think: internet cache, virtual memory etc), even with good wear-leveling algorithms. The current crop of SSD's have write-lives in the millions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virain
And the "good" one for $1299, sorry to say, is inferior to current lower priced UMPC's
I'm aware of that - it's just that the price discrepancy for what is essentially the same model with different options is pretty wide. It really depends what value you put on the different options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat
It does have HSDPA connectivitiy
That's correct, but as Virain has pointed out - it's the wrong frequency for the US. Just like most tri-band GSM phones can't be used in the US, neither will 2100MHz HSDPA enabled devices yet, as AT&T uses the 850MHz and 1900MHz bands for UMTS/HSDPA. T-Mobile will eventually be on the 1700MHz and 2100MHz bands, but when this will happen is anybody's guess.