Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Thoughts Site Updates

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2003, 06:37 AM
Kris Kumar
Editor Emeritus

Better Text Input...

1. Hardware ofcourse is the best : Like the Handspring Treo 600 form factor.

2. Software based improvements. I will focus more on the software method.

All of us who have used Sony Ericsson T68i, must have noticed that when you tap on a key, say 2 on key pad, the top right corner of the screen showed all the letters on that key "abc2"...and with each press of the 2 on the key pad, it would highlight the next character in the "abc2" list in the top right corner.

This feature comes in extremely handy, because it visually alerts your brain (sounds dumb but it helps) that to get to C, you need to press 2 on Key pad twice after 'a' is displayed :-)

That did sound dumb...let me put a better justification...

When using 1 on the key pad, which has special characters like .,-?'

If the top right corner or some corner of the screen had a small overlap or popup, that showed all the characters on that key, and shows u visually how many times to tap...and highlights the character with each tap.

I cant tell u how many times I have jumped the character I have wanted and have hit back/clear and multi-press again to get to that character.

I feel it helps, because Smartphone is a data device, and there are times u want to enter text for email, contacts. And this small overlay in the corner of the screen will help u to get familiar with the key pad quicker.

Kris