Quote:
Originally Posted by beq
I'd read more about it here:
http://news.com.com/Microsofts+Zune+...3-6097196.html

But, I also found this very interesting:
http://news.com.com/2061-11199_3-6097419.html

"Zune could kill Microsoft partners, not iPod"
"With friends like Microsoft..."
Well, Microsoft has given its partners plenty of time to get their act together, coming out with standards like Plays for Sure and such, but all of the gadget providers are more intersted in confusing the custoemrs with different interfaces than rallying behind a common form factor (like what is happening now with HTC in the WM/Smartphone world. microsoft is also ensuring this doesnt happen with future technologies, which is why they have released a hardware and software spec for UMPCs.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

An interesting article by Darius, and some very interesting responses in this thread. With both Pocket PC Thoughts and Smartphone Thoughts being sites that were started with "underdog" products, where the market was hugely in favour of another product at the time, let's just say that I have a feeling Microsoft is serious when it comes to Zune. More to come from me on this topic...

Old 07-31-2006, 05:30 AM
Gary.Lavin
Neophyte
Default Microsoft and Urge

I signed up for Microsoft's new venture - Urge - and was very disapointed to discover that your music is only good as long as you continue to pay the monthly subscription, the day you stop all your downloaded music is worthless, what a rip off. Let your friends know.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:23 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Microsoft and Urge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Lavin
I signed up for Microsoft's new venture - Urge - and was very disapointed to discover that your music is only good as long as you continue to pay the monthly subscription, the day you stop all your downloaded music is worthless, what a rip off. Let your friends know.
I wouldn't really call it a rip off. This is how subscription services work. The music is good for the duration of the subscription. Once it expires, playback rights diminish. You can't expect to pay $10-$15 per month and download all you want, let your subscription expire, and then still expect to enjoy playback rights for an indefinite period. The market would collapse.

The other pricing mechanism is a "by the track" plan, which is just like the iTunes Music Store. Buy the track for $0.99, and it's yours to keep forever. If you're not happy with the former, go with the latter.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Steve Jordan
Thinker

Personally, I find it sad (and maybe a little telling) that Zune is considering support for iTunes music, but not music from Napster, Rhapsody, etc, especially since they have transformed themselves into legitimately-bought music sources. That Zune would not want to include them, and risk shutting out all that accumulated music in someone's collection, seems wrong.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
Personally, I find it sad (and maybe a little telling) that Zune is considering support for iTunes music, but not music from Napster, Rhapsody, etc, especially since they have transformed themselves into legitimately-bought music sources. That Zune would not want to include them, and risk shutting out all that accumulated music in someone's collection, seems wrong.
Well, the truth is, no one knows if the Zune will support iTMS music, so it's not wise to reach a conclusion just yet. That's just a rumour going around, and for all we know, it could have been started by a dreamer on Forum XYZ. We'll know more later this month.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:57 AM
Steve Jordan
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
Well, the truth is, no one knows if the Zune will support iTMS music, so it's not wise to reach a conclusion just yet. That's just a rumour going around, and for all we know, it could have been started by a dreamer on Forum XYZ. We'll know more later this month.
Oh.

Never mind.