Old 03-16-2005, 09:15 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor
Default Re: Blogging, Journalism & Credibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Logsdon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgoroth
You can justify it by saying bloggers are not journalist, but this is just hiding the reality: to get your info, you won't try to find it by an internal investigation, but by pressuring a group publishing it. You can decide not to call blogger journalist, the principle is still to shut down somebody publishing a valid information.
Well said. In my opinion, Apple should conduct an investigation into the departments that could have leaked the info, and give all of them a pay cut. THEIR employees are at fault, and they should be the ones to pay the penalty, not some schlub with a blog. Get your own house in order before you start trying to clean someone else's.
I don't agree either. Journalists have often been jailed for not revealing sources when that hinders the investigation of a crime. The information received by the journalist was stolen. Just as receiving stolen property is an offense, so should be receiving stolen information. Passing on the information for profit, whether that is monetary or self serving, or even seen as noble, is no better than selling stolen property. I don't think it's an issue of whether bloggers are journalists or not, just as the judge indicated.