Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 11-19-2004, 07:25 PM
pacemkr
Intellectual

This is awesome!
Now I can check my email while I'm in college.

I'm dumping my ISP email and all my free accounts for gmail alternatives. Why? SSL!!!

Checking email via servers that do not support SSL over wireless allows everybody and their mother to see my pass and login as simple text.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:57 PM
T-Will
Sage

I've recently been thinking about changing from Yahoo to Gmail since I get about 100 spams/day on my Yahoo (luckily they're filtered out automatically).

Plus my Yahoo mail address isn't the easiest to give out to people (it's a little cryptic). The main problem with switching email is getting all my software, forum, and friends updated with my new email address. That's the only thing that's keeping me from switching to Gmail for my primary account.

I guess what I could do is use my Yahoo account as the spam/software registration account and use my Gmail just for friends and family.

Anyone have any good tips when switching to another email address?

Old 11-20-2004, 02:16 AM
pacemkr
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Will
I've recently been thinking about changing from Yahoo to Gmail since I get about 100 spams/day on my Yahoo (luckily they're filtered out automatically).

Plus my Yahoo mail address isn't the easiest to give out to people (it's a little cryptic). The main problem with switching email is getting all my software, forum, and friends updated with my new email address. That's the only thing that's keeping me from switching to Gmail for my primary account.

I guess what I could do is use my Yahoo account as the spam/software registration account and use my Gmail just for friends and family.

Anyone have any good tips when switching to another email address?
You might want to set up yahoo to forward to your new gmail account and thats it. If yahoo supports email forwarding. (which gmail does :wink: )

Old 11-20-2004, 02:27 AM
ignar
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemkr
You might want to set up yahoo to forward to your new gmail account and thats it. If yahoo supports email forwarding. (which gmail does :wink: )
Yahoo doesn't offer forwarding to free accounts. You have to sign up for mail plus for the service.

Old 11-20-2004, 08:56 PM
KimVette
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to KimVette Send a message via AIM to KimVette Send a message via Yahoo to KimVette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimVette
gmail interoperability
Why is it when I am on Linux or a Mac, I cannot use gmail? Even Hotmail works with browsers on those interfaces, and Google's GUI is far more simplified.
It works on the Mac (both with Safari and FireFox) for me and every Mac user I know. My only complaint with gmail on the Mac is that it doesn't save my password like it does with Windows.
I've tried on Jaguar, Panther, and OS X Server 10.2.8

Oh, I found a problem with hotmail last night: If you send a BCC to yourself, it gets sent to your junkmail folder.

Old 12-06-2004, 06:18 PM
flyashi
Neophyte
Send a message via ICQ to flyashi Send a message via AIM to flyashi
Default set ports on PPC outlook

Hi...
After using gmail-lite for a while, i've become partial to using outlook on the PPC 2003 because of its integration into the OS. But... I can't seem to get to the page (if it exists) on outlook where you can configure the ports (gmail uses non-standard SMTP and POP3 port numbers.) Aparently this is possible because others have done it... any help? :?:

thx....

P.S. I have invites. I also have spam on gmail (!), but so far (i have 5 msgs over the past 1 day) it's filtered np, so flyashi and u know the mail server :wink: .

Old 12-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Re: set ports on PPC outlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyashi
Hi...
After using gmail-lite for a while, i've become partial to using outlook on the PPC 2003 because of its integration into the OS. But... I can't seem to get to the page (if it exists) on outlook where you can configure the ports (gmail uses non-standard SMTP and POP3 port numbers.) Aparently this is possible because others have done it... any help? :?:

thx....
No, they are standard ports. Just enable SSL and Outlook will use the appropriate ports.

Old 12-08-2004, 02:53 PM
flyashi
Neophyte
Send a message via ICQ to flyashi Send a message via AIM to flyashi

So to make sure, I re-did my configuration step-by-step... typed it into here so some benevolent g-mailer could help me out... and then it works. I swear it didn't work before... and I'm a programmer, so I know when people say that, it's them, not the software.... but now I know how they were feeling.

Thanks for all your help!

- Flyashi

Old 12-10-2004, 05:51 PM
lcatt236
Pupil
Default Gmail invites

I have 6 email me at lcatt236 at gmail dot com