¹ Jobs on Zune's Sharing: Too Slow - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 10-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Sage
Ponderer

I don't think Mr. Jobs is talking about the speed of the actual transfer when he says that it's slow, I believe he's referring to the complexity and number of menus that need to be traversed in order to send the file.

A point well made, but you wouldn't expect him to be praising his rival anyway.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

The harsh reality of Zune sharing is one that few people seem to be talking about: the Zune's sharing abilities are useless unless another Zune is nearby. It's the value of the network. Front-page post time...

Old 10-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

I was steering clear of that lest someone accuse me of Apple fanboyism.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Aaron Roma
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I don't think Mr. Jobs is talking about the speed of the actual transfer when he says that it's slow, I believe he's referring to the complexity and number of menus that need to be traversed in order to send the file.
Without having seen it myself, that's my gut feeling too...

Old 10-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

I have to say, they showed it in a promotional video and it didn't look too onerous to me...

Old 10-17-2006, 12:25 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent M Ferrari View Post
I have to say, they showed it in a promotional video and it didn't look too onerous to me...
I'd have to agree - it really doesn't look that bad. The PMC is a really great UI for the most part...

Old 10-17-2006, 12:43 AM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage

Just to be sure, I went back and watched the walkthrough again, and Steve has to be talking about bandwidth. To share song it's literally three clicks.

Click on the song
Click on the Send menu item
Click the Zune you want to send it to.

I can't imagine that getting any easier, so I seriously doubt that he's talking about how complicated the process is.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:22 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
I can't imagine that getting any easier, so I seriously doubt that he's talking about how complicated the process is.
Actually, I think that's exactly what he's talking about: when have you ever seen Jobs be rational about non-Apple products? You know he thinks everything sucks - I've never seen him do anything BUT trash-talk non-Apple products.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Just to be sure, I went back and watched the walkthrough again, and Steve has to be talking about bandwidth. To share song it's literally three clicks.
Well, by Apple standards, three clicks is probably too much.

Anyway, there have been a ton of reasons given for why Steve said what he said. Amongst others, he's giving a vote of confidence to his investors, who don't want to hear that Apple is running scared. I'm pretty sure that Apple has been testing wireless technologies; after all, the Mac line is one of the few that has had Bluetooth 2.0+EDR implemented across the entire product spectrum for the last year-plus, not to mention the work they've done with AirPort, AirPort Express, etc.

--janak

Old 10-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh View Post
Well, by Apple standards, three clicks is probably too much.
Well, we do like our Macs to read minds, Janak...