Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 08-02-2004, 08:41 AM
twalk
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by twalk
Well, like I said, I've never worked at a place that released negative info ahead of time, even to those who've signed NDAs. And with MS being as paranoid as they are... I personally can't think of a positive business case for why they would release negative info to press NDAs.
When I'm at an MVP event, I'm an MVP, not a guy with a Pocket PC site. MVPs respect their NDAs and as such are trusted with a great deal of information. even the bad news. I won't explain this again. Either call me a liar or let it go.
At no point did I call you a liar, or imply it. I've just seen too many times where the people in a group get real excited by new stuff they are working on, announce it to all their partners, and then have upper management make major changes, or even kill the entire project. They never knew what hit them. I've seen that happen *way* too often.

I'm not saying that you're a liar, but I am questioning your idea that MS shares all the negative information about their products. I've never actually seen a company do that before, because it can potentially have a direct negative impact on sales. (More to the point, even though you're a MVP, *why* should they share all the negative info with you? I can't even image a company that shares all it's info.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by twalk
You're basically looking at what is out there right now, and saying "you can't do that". I'm basically saying that this is easily possible if (and only if) all the players are committed to do it.
I'm not saying it's technically impossible, I'm saying that market forces existing today make it completely unlikely and unrealistic. The costs of a Pocket PC like you're describing would be cost prohibitive - it's the same story as the people who want the Pocket PC with a 1 Ghz processor (Intel has them), 256 MB of RAM, two SD slots, one CF slot, 2000 mAH battery, 4" VGA screen, etc. Sure, it's possible. But who will buy a $1000 Pocket PC? In the same way, the "Pocket PC with a cradle replacing a desktop computer" scenario is a niche one, making the cost of the bundle cost prohibitive.

It's a pie in the sky scenario that has no basis in reality. I dearly WISH it would happen, but I've been in thus industry too long to believe it will happen anytime soon. As I said earlier, several years from now we might see it happen, but not now, and not because of some conspiracy to keep the Pocket PC down, which is what started this original thread.

No more posts from me on this subject, so enjoy having the last word. :wink:
Contrary to what you might think, I'm not a troll. I really have wasted too much time on this thread, and will also drop it here.

You really do have an inflated idea about how much this would all cost. All I asked for was a couple usb master ports and a dvi output for hardware. That would add something like $20 to the parts cost. Maybe have it on a docking station. Laptop docking stations are very poor sellers, but yet usually cost <$200 for a much more powerful dock. Even if you add all the parts to the "super PPC" you list out above, you're still talking only <$200 more in parts, with no OS changes needed. This isn't a design/part cost issue, but a marketing issue.

I also think that you (and many other posters here) don't realize how paranoid MS is to any potential threat to Windows and Office. They've killed many a company for being a smaller threat than PPC is. PDAs fit the classical definition of a disruptive technology. If you don't know what that is, read "The Innovator's Dilemma", which is the classical work on the subject. MS can't take any chances here. Even small losses in marketshare for XP+Office add up to hundreds of millions of dollars.