Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 04-02-2004, 04:25 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

I spoke with an IT director last weak who told me he and his staff spend more than 65-70% or their time patching systems and fighting viruses. :crazyeyes:

Old 04-02-2004, 04:42 PM
szamot
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerestis
I think longhorn looks nice and all, but... Seriously... The wanna-be dock on the side is such a space waster. I've used something similar called sysmetrix, you can design the way it fits to your screen and so on. Well, it's a waste of resources and it's huge if you want it to be useful at all. I'm dissapointed with such non-innovative approaches to the ui.
Actually, when you think about the prevalence of wide-screen displays, we have more width that we know what to do with, to the side dock makes sense. I'm sure you can turn it off anyway...
Indeed there is a handy little option that lets you select how you want it docked, indeed if you want it at all, you can also set a custom size or with a click of a button on the lower left hand corner you can make it disappear. Also the user can customize the side bar to their heart content. You could spend a day doing so.

And I agree with Jason we do have a lot of width to play with on the new displays.

Old 04-02-2004, 04:59 PM
szamot
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthiel
Ha ha wrong. BSD with Mach Kernel and the best GUI ever devised. Features that can be found on no other OS abound. A consisten gui, stability and ease of use. Time has nothing to do with it. Unix was designed from the start to be a multi-user system so it does not allow all the crazy s**t that Windows allows. Windows is patched hacked code on top of patched hacked code. The only reason Windows users think XP is stable is because they are comparing it to earlier versions of Windows. By those standards it is stable.
perhaps, perhaps not, but can a Joe six pack install BSD on a brand new PC without going through a flat of brew and pulling all of his hair out - get some applications and start running a business, no he can't! If he wants to compete and be successful in the real business world his best choice is Windows/Office. Playing at home is one thing, doing business is another.

I know Windows is not the best, not the most secure, but kid yourself not, I see more Linux boxes hacked than Win boxes on the net, there are a lot less of them so you don't hear about it as much. Windows is about ease of use which is what Joe six pack cares about. It might be expansive and at times not very stable but it addresses the lowest common denominator which is average skill level necessary to operate it - anyone, and I mean anyone can use it and that seems to be more important to the 90% of the world than reliability or price you pay for it.

Old 04-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator
Default Re: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo
Most people would tell you that Apple is a hardware company first, and software second. Apples core profit comes from hardware. To open their software to the x86 would stiffle sales of their hardware. Would you buy a $500 x86 or $1400 PowerPC model to run OS X?
Yes, but I also believe that people would rather buy a $100 operating system for their $500 computer (or get the computer bundled with the OS) rather than paying $1400 for the PowerPC model.

My reasoning is that Apple will be able to sell in much higher volume if they released their operating system to the rest of the world. I also believe that it's cheaper to develop an operating system compared to developing both the HARDWARE and SOFTWARE.

Oh well... we'll see one day when Apple is desperate enough.

Old 04-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Zack Mahdavi
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1
There is no one person to blame but to say MS is blameless it so far off the mark you'd need a galactic map to straighten yourself out.
Amen brother! I can't agree with you any more... I remember in 1995 when Intel had to make that multi-BILLION dollar write-off to replace some Pentium chips that had a division problem. The truth is, only the research industry was truly affected by that bug, not your average consumer like you and me. Yet what was Intel forced to do? Replace all the chips....

Fast forward to the software world.... we definitely don't see that, but it's something I would expect. I hope our expectations change in the future.

Back on topic, Windows Longhorn looks interesting. I'm looking forward to trying it out, especially since it will incorporate a bunch of the nifty features from OS X. However, I have never understood why Microsoft is never able to stay on schedule.... :?

Old 04-02-2004, 09:56 PM
guinness
Intellectual

[quote="zkmusa"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1

Unfortunately, I also think that Apple is done. Sure, they make an awesome operating system and great hardware, but because Jobs insists on the best, Apple's market remains small.
I'm not sure about great hardware, I have an iMac sitting here that's deader than a doornail (it has a fried video board and I'm not going to spend $170 to fix it, it isn't worth it, I'll upgrade my PC instead). BTW, the iMac I got free from the company my mom works for (they upgraded the iMac's with eMac's), so I figured I give it a shot (I can't afford Apple's overpriced wares). But I can't because the older CRT iMac's tend to have faulty FBT's and video boards.

If Apple really wanted to push OS X, they wouldn't charge so much for the hardware, cheapest Mac is $800, I'can build an AMD 64 system for around $500-600 and it'd blow the G5 out of the water. If Apple really believed OS X was better than XP, they'd release the x86 version and watch MS scramble.

Old 04-02-2004, 10:35 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkmusa
However, I have never understood why Microsoft is never able to stay on schedule.... :?
Bill G doesn't use a Pocket PC. Why should anyone else there?