Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2004, 10:01 PM
karen
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch D

The then President of the CRIA stated back in I believe it was 2000 when the levy first came out that "it is a small price to pay for the right to copy music" (this is the jist of what he said, it's been a while). Now I know there is no logic to these type of people but how does one justify going after people for file swapping when you make a comment like that?

Just that's just my 2 cents worth... CRIA + RIAA = alot of stupid people!
Wait...I participated in a position paper on the levy last year...and the CRIA position (and that quote) is that personal, legal copying is what the levy is compensating for...not illegal copying. That's what made it so outrageously offensive.

The levy has nothing to do with file "sharing", it was soley to compensate the record companies for all the lost revenue you all cause :roll: because you normally would have bought one CD for your PPC and another one for your home stereo, and yet another for your car. :roll: Since technology allows you to do all the legal stuff, the music industry was about to fold in Canada; therefore the collective (!) was FORCED make a private levy to keep the music indutry alive in Canada. :roll:

Really, it was so laughable hearing people puke out this kinda crap...and that's what our position paper said..

Karen