Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2004, 08:30 AM
PetiteFlower
Magi

Bush was lying. He comes from Texas and he OWNS AN OIL COMPANY! Or did at one time, I'm not entirely sure if he still owns it. Big Oil is WAY too powerful for alternative fuel research to ever really get very far. The research already exists for several different types of alternatives to be tested, but the money isn't going to them, and it won't as long as the oil companies have america in their pockets.

I'd consider a gas-electric hybrid if I didn't do mostly highway driving; since I'd be using the gas engine at highway speeds anyway I don't think it would make much of a difference. But I may get one in the future.

Seems like gas prices as high as they are now should be enough of an incentive for people to not buy huge SUVs that they don't need, but hell, people are stupid. I hate SUVs and I will never buy one, I don't plan to drive on any mountains and if/when I have more then 2 kids I will get a MINIVAN before I'll get an SUV, "soccer mom stigma" be damned! I hate being behind them on the road and I hate the consumptionist culture they represent. Even the efficient ones still block my view on the road and MOST of them seem to be driven by idiots who think that because they are sitting a foot and a half higher off the ground then me that they own the road!

Ok sorry /rant

Oh BTW I wouldn't try to tow ANYTHING with a CRV, at least not if I planned on keeping it. Just because the specs say it CAN tow that much doesn't mean it can do it without hurting the engine; you're just putting it under so much more stress then its used to taking that you'd be seriously reducing the life of the engine. If you really do need to tow things, then you have an excuse to get a pickup or a big SUV. Some people need them, and those people I have no beef with. But ideally if you're one of those people, then you have another little fuel efficient car that you can use when you're not hauling or towing

A friend of mine has a huge SUV for his winter vehicle; he doesn't tow or haul but he does live in a pretty remote area where the roads get really bad in winter. His summer vehicle, though, is a motorcycle I think that mostly makes up for the monster car!