Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 11-17-2003, 04:07 PM
bdegroodt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelist
I thought about that too sitting in at Cheescake Factory in NW DC a few months ago. The problem is that often times text messages don't go through immediately. It's not reliable enough yet. Most of the time there is no problem at all. It's immediate. But about once a month or so my messages get delayed 12-24 hours. I wouldn't think that Verizon would have that much trouble in suburban Maryland.
Yeah that's the catch. It's actually kind of odd. Telcos are so known for demanding the best of the best from their hardware/software vendors, but in this case the weakest link to actually using SMS is the telco. Doesn't make sense to me.

Well, the SPOT technology has to have something cooler than news/weather/traffic reports. What could it be? I wonder if the technology is precise enough to do proximity based information.

Old 11-18-2003, 01:09 AM
Kevin C. Tofel
Thinker

One concern I have (and shame on me for not thinking about this before) is battery life. "Juice" is so precious to my PPC, I should have considered what a wireless receiver in a watch would need. One comment in the article alluded to having the watch recharged as much as a cell phone.....which I equate to at least once per week. How does this "wear" with everyone????

I still have every intention of taking a good close look at these when they finally become available, but for now, my pager will do the trick for time and news\sports updates.....

KCT