Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 10-22-2003, 02:43 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus
Default Any digital video enthusiasts willing to lend a hand?

I'm looking for some help getting my DV Camcorder working correctly on my PC and with Pinnacle Studio 8.

I am having problems capturing video from my camcorder. I was finally able to get the 2 devices to see each other after downloading the latest drivers from Panasonic. However, Windows Movie Maker, and Pinnacle Studio 8 don�t see the camcorder as a capture device. Do these applications only work with FireWire? Or is there something wrong with my setup? Should I buy a FireWire cable for my camcorder?

I then tried to use the software that came with the camcorder to capture video. This seems to work, but is it ever slow. And it seems to jump around a lot. For instance, there is a clip about 60 seconds long. When I try and capture it, about a third of the way through it starts to jump around. Eventually it ends up at the start of the clip and then slowly starts to transfer or �capturing� as the progress window states. I have yet to let this finish because if it�s any indication of the length of time it will take then I�m going to go nuts try to capture the 180 minutes of video I have.

For the record, I am using a Panasonic PV-DV402 digital video camcorder, USB 2.0 (the cable that came with the camcorder), on a P4 2.0 with 1 Gig RAM, total hard drive space of 200+ Gig (100 Gig free on my multi-media drive), a nVidia GeForce 2 with 64 Meg RAM, and there is also a ATI TV Wonder (video capture) card. For software, I'm using Pinnacle Studio 8, Windows XP Pro (all the latest service patches). I also own a copy of Faster Smarter Digital video. I am currently on chapter 1 (started reading it last night ).

I am embarrassed to admit that I have owned the book since Feb this year, and the camera and software since mid to late last year. I had big hopes... it just took a little while to get the time to do them! ops:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-25-2003, 12:49 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Update.... (In case anyone cares)

Jason's book has provided a fair bit of insight. Looks like I needed to purchase a FireWire cable and not waste time using the supplied USB cable. Seems that the sales person I purchased the camcorder from didn't really understand the whole cabling thing. And for the record:

1) The supplied USB cable is meant for taking the pictures off the camera. Although it may offer the chance at moving the video as well. It's not the intended purpose of the cable

2) You have to use a FireWire cable to remove the video. And for some reason the manufacturer fails to supply these cables with the camcorder. The cable costs all of about $25 at RadioShack. Anything to shave a couple bucks off the price I guess. :roll:

I'm off to play with my 180+ minutes of video...