Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2003, 11:00 PM
kevinkar
Neophyte
Default Upgrade to Windows Mobile 2003 - what doesn't work....

I just "upgraded" my Toshiba e755 from PPC2002 to WM2003 and have run into a couple bugs with a couple items and wanted to post them here for information as well as discussion if anyone has any fixes.

Resco File Explorer 2003 works but has issues with deleting folders, especially if there are items in that folder. I keep getting an error pop up that says the file or portion of the file is locked and can not be deleted. I have to completely stop Resco File Explorer and start it up again before I can carry out the deletion.

It seems to me that if a folder has items in it, Resco File Explorer will delete the items in the folder but can't delete the folder for some reason. I am also unable to start up the Pocket PC File Explorer and delete from there until I first shut down Resco File Explorer.

This did not happen yesterday on Pocket PC 2002 so there's an issue with this software on this OS. I have sent them an e-mail but have not yet received a reply.

Zio Interactive Sim City 2000 has the sound lag mentioned in the EarthVillage review at
http://www.earthv.com/articles.asp?A...=1586&PageID=4
which makes the game pretty much a pain to play. I will likely hard reset the device again and see if the problem persists with ONLY Sim City installed. Again, I have an e-mail in to Zio Interactive but have not yet received a reply.

Calligrapher 6.5 had an issue the first time I installed it and made the PDA run extremely slowly. I reinstalled it to no avail. I hard reset and installed ONLY Calligrapher and not the CGR Switch utility as I did before (that's the utility that switches between Calligrapher and Transcriber) and that seems to have solved the issue. Looking at the PhatWare site, it does state that CGR Switch is ONLY for PocketPC2002 so maybe a new version will fix this. I have not yet sent an e-mail to them.

Regardless of what's reported on the better connection routine in 2003, I still find this to be unintuitive and poorly implemented. There's still too much to do with a MODEM connection as well as a needless choice between "Work", "My ISP" and "The Internet" when all I want to do is enter in an SSID, WEP key and connect. That's what should happen. Doesn't matter whether it's Work, an ISP, School, Home or whatever.

The new picture viewer included in the OS doesn't seem to display a directory full of *.bmp images! How basic is that?

Lastly, my standard complaints still apply (nothing new here, but not changed in the new OS) such as most programs being written to look in My Documents only or one level below, the install routines not allowing you to choose exactly where you want programs to install (I use cabinstl by sk to get around that) etc....

So there are some bugs to be worked out and some new Windows Mobile 2003 versions of some software that needs to be released.

Kevin