Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 05-25-2003, 10:29 PM
Mitch D
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone
I know that this post will be unpopular, but I enjoy this site as an international forum and unless recognition of all member nations' holidays are going to be posted, let's please keep the US myopia out of here and stick to technology related posts?

If recognition of war dead is going to be posted then why not stick to the yearly and (at least for 'Western culture') more globally recognised date of November 11? That's international, while Memorial Day is a US localised event to mark that nation's internal battles.

Please, keep news blurbs on sites like this more internationally inclusive rather than a non-tech-related political rah-rah for your home team.
Keystone, I have no idea what part of the world your from but this site is more than just tech related stuff as you can see by reading some of the off topic areas. I am a Canadian and Memorial Day has nothing to do with me. But there is nothing wrong with a day that recognizes the contibutions of the Men and Woman of the Worlds Armed Forces. This one day may be for long dead US soldiers but they where men that gave there lives doing what they believed was right.

It is also a time for people to reflect on the Men and Woman that are now in harms way in one of the hot spots in the world, and to give thanks that they are willing to do what needs to be done. Stop worrying about what shows up on the front page! There is more important things to worry about in life.

:soapbox:

I'll get down off my soap box now.

Old 05-25-2003, 10:34 PM
Unreal32
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Unreal32 Send a message via AIM to Unreal32 Send a message via Yahoo to Unreal32

Keystone, you're also *wrong* on a couple of points. While Memorial Day (or as it was called originally, Decoration Day) was originally designated to honor fallen soldiers from America's civil war, it was eventually expanded to include the fallen American soliders from all wars, and is in fact an American tradition but is also observed at cemeteries where Americans are buried in France, Italy, England, Tunisia, the Netherlands, the Phillipines, Mexico, Luxembourg, and Belgium (and maybe others I'm not aware of). Gravesites of over 30,000 Americans from World War I and over 90,000 Americans from World War II in those OTHER countries are decorated with the American flag AND the flags of those other countries as well. While it is uniquely an American federal holiday, it's to remember fallen soliders who died in wars all around the globe... and very likely Americans defended *your* country at some point as well. Particularly if you're European it's entirely possible that you owe your current freedom to America's military. Americans died defending many other countries in wars, which is why we honor them on Memorial Day today. While I'm not saying YOU should honor America's fallen heroes, why don't you cut us some slack. :roll:

http://www.455th.ukpc.net/tomfeise/8...mday01/005.jpg

Old 05-25-2003, 11:12 PM
QYV
Intellectual

Speaking of "off-topic", LongRifle...

Quote:
"Hmmm... Upgrades" Nero - Matrix ReLoaded
That's "Neo". :wink:

Old 05-26-2003, 12:21 AM
Imageman
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal32
Keystone, you're also *wrong* on a couple of points. While Memorial Day (or as it was called originally, Decoration Day) was originally designated to honor fallen soldiers from America's civil war, it was eventually expanded to include the fallen American soliders from all wars, and is in fact an American tradition but is also observed at cemeteries where Americans are buried in France, Italy, England, Tunisia, the Netherlands, the Phillipines, Mexico, Luxembourg, and Belgium (and maybe others I'm not aware of). Gravesites of over 30,000 Americans from World War I and over 90,000 Americans from World War II in those OTHER countries are decorated with the American flag AND the flags of those other countries as well. While it is uniquely an American federal holiday, it's to remember fallen soliders who died in wars all around the globe... and very likely Americans defended *your* country at some point as well. Particularly if you're European it's entirely possible that you owe your current freedom to America's military. Americans died defending many other countries in wars, which is why we honor them on Memorial Day today. While I'm not saying YOU should honor America's fallen heroes, why don't you cut us some slack. :roll:

http://www.455th.ukpc.net/tomfeise/8...mday01/005.jpg
I am glad you said this- as it was exactly what I was about to type. here here.

Old 05-26-2003, 01:03 AM
Mitch D
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by QYV
Speaking of "off-topic", LongRifle...

Quote:
"Hmmm... Upgrades" Nero - Matrix ReLoaded
That's "Neo". :wink:
Damn Typo Demons!!! LOL... Must be those damn Agents hacking into the system! :2gunfire:

Thanks QYV

Old 05-26-2003, 02:16 AM
ledowning
Ponderer

As a former member of the Canadian Armed Forces, I see no problem with us recognizing Memorial Day, Rememberance Day or any other "national holiday" for allen members of the military in any service present or past. This website recognizes technology issues and many other topics and is international in flavor based on the amount of users posting each day from all parts of the world.

What is wrong with showing a little respect for personnel who gave their lives to provide us with the freedom to express ourselves without sending us off to jail for our opinions.

Lighten up!!!!! :mrgreen:

Old 05-26-2003, 05:57 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone
I know that this post will be unpopular, but I enjoy this site as an international forum and unless recognition of all member nations' holidays are going to be posted, let's please keep the US myopia out of here and stick to technology related posts?
This site is made up of four people from the US, one from Canada, one from Sweden, and one from the Netherlands. So unless you can find a way for me to bring one representative of each country onto my team, a certain amount of "myopia" is going to occur. And four of our team members are also Christians, which means we have a tendency towards not posting on Christian holidays. It's impossible for us to take into account every country, religion, and creed around the world - so we come from where we are as people.

All in all, I'd encourage you to lighten up and get over it :lol: - or use the filter function (that's why we added it, so people would have no valid reason to complain). It's just a Web site after all. :mrgreen:

Old 05-26-2003, 06:01 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I've locked this thread because I know where this is going to lead...

Politics and Pocket PC Thoughts do not mix well. :|