Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 05-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Pony99CA
Swami
Default Money Well Spent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornkeizers
Well, those solutions do work, but I'll be damned if I spend any money just to get rid of something which I didn't want and is even illegal.
I didn't spend money to get rid of spam; I spent money to get my own domain. I thought that was well worth the $15 a year I spent. The anti-spam benefits just happened to come along for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornkeizers
I don't want to have to create fake emails, or worry about whether or not Amazon or PPCthoughts or whoever sell my email or have it stolen from them...
First, the E-mail addresses are not "fake". They work just like any other E-mail addresses, except that they forward to another E-mail address. Some people actually pay for E-mail forwarding services so they can have a permanent E-mail address in case they ever switch ISPs.

In fact, I paid mail.com almost $20 a year for that. They only wanted $15 to renew, but for that same $15, I got my own domain, E-mail forwarding and the ability to create as many E-mail addresses as I want. For example, I can give my entire family similar E-mail addresses which forward to their real E-mail addresses, and they won't have to get an E-mail forwarding service, either.

Second, spam is going to happen no matter what you do. These E-mail addresses will help you track how a scumbag spammer acquired your address. If that spammer bounty law is ever passed, this could help track them down.

Steve