Old 04-14-2003, 04:45 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: An apparent press release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyp
Quotes from Nokia's new C.I.O Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf...
I have no idea what your post was meant to convey, but it reads like a jihad of gibberish. Do you have a point to make, other than that fact that you don't like the fact that I like Microsoft's approach to the phone market?
As PlayAgain implies, it's all in the name, Jason. cyp's post is actually very pro-Smartphone. Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf was the Iraqi information minister who kept on proclaiming victory even when the opposition was "at the gates". The analog here is that Microsoft, while it has been perceived as unsuccessful in the Smartphone market so far, should only be ignored at great peril.

--janak

p.s. Interestingly, al-Sahaf is rapidly becoming a cult figure.

Old 04-14-2003, 05:24 PM
denethor
Pupil

[quote="PlayAgain?"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbrown
At the moment, Symbian is winning the battle. As you said, the software being released for the phone is amazing. I never thought I'd be able to play and record video on a phone, play 3D games, IM chat, star gaze, control my TV, have a basic quasi-gps tool and PDA functionality, all in a small phone! Excellent! But Microsoft will begin to catch up and may even release a phone that works! So for Symbian's coalition to ignore the Microsoft regime would be foolish in the extreme, they have much more resource for 'information distribution' and are not afraid to bend the truth.
A battle? Battle is not started yet...Symbian Phones is in the market since 2001. In 2 years i cannot see any imporvement in this area. I used Nokia 9210 this was a terrible experince.
From the # of developers perspective; as a phone users i do not want any sofisticated software for my phone. I only need reliable and compitable Contacts, Inbox and Tasks applications, fast WEB browser. (Not just a poor WAP browser like someones have) and connectivity (Bluetooth espacially. Nokia' s bluetooth implementation is simply terrible).
Remember these devices called as a phone not a PDA.[/b]

Old 04-14-2003, 06:23 PM
krisbrown
Ponderer

Well actually I didn't write that, but I do agree with it.
You are correct the 9210 is cr@p :|

Old 04-14-2003, 06:33 PM
PlayAgain?
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to PlayAgain?
Default Ignorance is bliss - you're talking about a different genre! Sheesh!

Quote:
:lol:

Old 04-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Ben
Ponderer

The 9210 is old now (a year? 18 months?)! If you want to look at what symbian can really do take a look at an SE P800, Nokia 7650 or Nokia 3650.

Old 04-14-2003, 09:08 PM
denethor
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben
The 9210 is old now (a year? 18 months?)! If you want to look at what symbian can really do take a look at an SE P800, Nokia 7650 or Nokia 3650.
I really know them...Ericsson Symbian implementation is relativly better. But both 7650 and 3650 is just a MMS toy :wink: for teenagers. They are not enterprise class devices. I prefered to use 9210 as an example because of it class. (Ok ok..I know. "Bounce" is the the best PDA game ever 8) )
Anyway I believe that current H/W specs. of Symbian devices is not enough for today bussines needs. Symbian tries to prove that their OS is really effective on low profile devices. But they dont need to do this. Again 9210; why Nokia did not put 32 MB more RAM for that potentially killer device! Cost?? Sorry I paid 1000 � for it, cost is not the answer.

I dont care who will dominate the market. I just want cheaper, better and compatable devices. Brand is not important on my buying desicions.
(Now I am working in Telecom company so I can try all devices before buying them :twisted: )

Cheers

Old 04-14-2003, 09:10 PM
denethor
Pupil
Default Re: Ignorance is bliss - you're talking about a different genre! Sheesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayAgain?
Quote:
:lol:
Wrong qoute button?? :lol:

Old 04-15-2003, 12:04 AM
cyp
Pupil
Default At last somebody understands me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyp
Quotes from Nokia's new C.I.O Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf...
I have no idea what your post was meant to convey, but it reads like a jihad of gibberish. Do you have a point to make, other than that fact that you don't like the fact that I like Microsoft's approach to the phone market?
As PlayAgain implies, it's all in the name, Jason. cyp's post is actually very pro-Smartphone. Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf was the Iraqi information minister who kept on proclaiming victory even when the opposition was "at the gates". The analog here is that Microsoft, while it has been perceived as unsuccessful in the Smartphone market so far, should only be ignored at great peril.

--janak

p.s. Interestingly, al-Sahaf is rapidly becoming a cult figure.

Thanks Janak and Play Again, that is exactly what I meant. Although it will be a long drawn battle, Nokia better watch out.

p.s. all the quotes are a parody of al-Sahaf's actual quotes. http://www.mongabay.com/external/ira...mmed_saeed.htm

Old 04-15-2003, 07:09 AM
mememe
Ponderer
Default Re: HP, Dell developing Microsoft Smartphones

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe
Driving economies of scale is something that is a benefit to the entire industry, but to think that an MS smartphone platform will, in fact, be cheaper than what Nokia/SE/Siemens brings to the market is a falicy.
According to an Orange representative that presented at Mobius, their SPV phone has a higher ARPU than any other phone they sell. To not believe that carriers are drooling all over themselves to roll out something, ANYTHING, that will drive ARPU higher is a falicy.
ARPU as the driver to device reselling is failing to address the key point which the wireless industry has failed to address to this point, customer profitability. It doesn't matter how much ARPU you get from a subscriber, it only matters if that subscriber is profitable. The fallicy of it all..