Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2003, 08:00 AM
ppcsurfr
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution.cx
For some things like multimedia SMS messages but for general GSM/GPRS connectivity it supposedly is the same. I'd love to get an MS SmartPhone here in the US from a US carrier but no one offers them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcsurfr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution.cx
Some French hackers figured out how to unlock the original SPV phone (SIM unlock). So you can just buy one on eBay or possibly from Orange, run the unlock program and have an unlocked SPV. Then you get a free sim card from T-Mobile (with service contract) and you can use it just fine in the US. I should know more this week when my unlocked SPV shows up (a real Orange unlocked SPV actually).
Well, I guess that's possible... but from what I've seen, they have been tweaking the devices to work specifically with a particular network in terms of services. You do get mroe functionality if you get a phone which is originally from the intended carrier.]

This may not be too important but things like WAP Portals or SAT (STK) services are also some things to consider...

ppcsurfr
That's what I meant... If they'r not important to you then a phone from a different carrier would be fine. BUt from what I've heard that the latest ROM release includes a software lock (for signed apps) which is harder to break.

ppcsurfr