Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Put your DRM audio files on an MP3 card and then try to listen to it on another device.
No problem. A storage card with WMA DRM files can be used in any CE 3.0 based device, even a Handheld PC 2000. The Media Player for the CE 2.11 based Palm-size PC couldn't play the files, but otherwise the files are apparently tied to the card, not the device.

Quote:
I seem to remember a conversation you were involved in a few years ago and couldn't demonstrate the particular problem you were having with some MP3 or WMA files. Fall of 2000 I believe. Why couldn't you demonstrate it? Because the files were DRM encrypted.
Actually, the card had become corrupted. It had nothing to do with DRM. The fact that Media Player hung due to the corruption caused me more anger than DRM... ;-)

Quote:
It is about who the rights belong to, and it isn't my device, despite how many DRM schemes seem to work.
I'm with you in disliking DRM and copy protection. However, I don't agree with you with regard to the Microsoft implementations. These schemes seem to be more of a problem for the power users that we are rather than they affect the majority of users. Overall, while I'd prefer to not have to use them, I am finding them tolerable.

The reason for me not using Palm Reader is (a) the Palm logo upon startup ;-) and (b) I much prefer Reader's look and feel.

Old 02-23-2003, 08:38 PM
acronym
Intellectual

I'm staying clear of the drm posts but this:

"Because EFI has its own filing system that lives on a reserved part of the hard disk, "

is already done on apple hardware.

Old 02-23-2003, 08:43 PM
seanturner
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by acronym
"Because EFI has its own filing system that lives on a reserved part of the hard disk, "
I'll add that to the list of reasons why I don't buy apple hardware...

Old 02-23-2003, 08:52 PM
Marc Zimmermann
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Zimmermann
Quote:
I'm glad you've had no problems Marc. Let me know how it goes for you when you are on the road and get a new device or go through a hard reset and you don't have your laptop with you. Doubtful you'll be reading any ebooks with that Pocket PC until you get home.
I'm going to make the backup/restore test later today.
The activation is restored with the CF backup.

Old 02-23-2003, 09:53 PM
Mike Wagstaff
Intellectual

Quote:
The activation is restored with the CF backup.
Is there a technical reason why the activation state couldn't be stored in a device's Flash ROM? That way, it could survive a hard-reset.

To get back on-topic, I think that any DRM solution that penalises users to the extent that it is even mildly annoying is destined to fail as it will invite hackers to find a solution to bypass it.

Old 02-24-2003, 01:58 AM
acronym
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanturner
Quote:
I'll add that to the list of reasons why I don't buy apple hardware...
what? because they thought outside the limitations of a rom bios and decided it would be better to load from a easily rewritable track on the hard drive? :roll:

Old 02-24-2003, 02:03 AM
seanturner
Thinker

Quote:

what? because they thought outside the limitations of a rom bios and decided it would be better to load from a easily rewritable track on the hard drive? :roll:
What about when I want to upgrade my harddrive, like I did on my PC laptop a month ago?

Old 02-24-2003, 02:06 AM
Weyoun6
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Weyoun6 Send a message via AIM to Weyoun6 Send a message via MSN to Weyoun6 Send a message via Yahoo to Weyoun6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Zimmermann
The reason for me not using Palm Reader is (a) the Palm logo upon startup ;-)
You can remove that

I really think that you should not have to ask anyone to use your own books. I have had to ask MS for more activations after I reformatted my harddrive. I reformat my computer once a year. Plus my pocket pc crashes about twice a year.

How may times must I ask for added activations, before they get sick of me, and tell me to go away? Palm lets me put my books wherever I want.

Old 02-24-2003, 06:12 AM
bspline
Pupil

I wasn't going to post here, but Amazon drove me to it...

Well, I was looking around for some of Neil Gaiman's books at amazon, when I stumbled at this:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...836703-3427212

Can anyone believe the price difference? That made me wonder why is M$ pushing DRM5 so hard... profit margins are out of the astronomical...

Anyway, I think a viable solution to DRM, which ties the content to the person and not to the hardware is biometrics. HP is one step ahead in this direction with the 54xx series, and I think it can be even easier if people think speech patterns have signatures on their own...

Anyway, I really don't think this is unknown to most companies, they choose to ignore it on behalf of their own interests.

Old 02-24-2003, 06:16 PM
acronym
Intellectual

I'd say that was a misprint. did you read the editorial reviews?

Unless Neverware is "Instant help for managing Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5. At last there's a no-nonsense, task-oriented, administrator- level guide to supporting Exchange Server 5.5, with full client and server coverage!"