Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-13-2002, 06:43 AM
st63z
Philosopher

Hehe, I left out a few things, I was just thinking about my experience. I meant using the ClearVue Suite/Office viewers to view (not edit) native Office files -- basically just reading up on the files and getting familiar with them for your real work at home While you're in motion or traveling, you don't always have the opportunity to do editing.

To tell you the truth, I use the built-in Pocket office apps just to edit very simple documents (that usually were created on the PPC to begin with). Anything more complex, and many things just kinda disappear on the PPC. Even for relatively simple docs, once you edit and save on the PPC and sync it back to the desktop, a lot of things get messed up when you open it on the desktop Office apps again.

Another thing I shouldn't probably admit, I do too much PPC reading while driving, way too much to be healthy long-term If you think talking on the cell or listening to loud radio makes for bad driving...

Old 07-14-2002, 05:58 AM
Unreal32
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Unreal32 Send a message via AIM to Unreal32 Send a message via Yahoo to Unreal32

Why bother? Especially if you have a laptop, using a CF adapter ($11 at CompUSA) with a CF type I card is more economical, and they already have 256-1 gig sizes available... plus they plug right into my CF slot on my Jornada, and can fit easily into a portable USB CF reader (less than $20). I use the CF adapter plus a 256 meg CF-I card, and swap files around everywhere, plus I keep a CF adapter with a 32-meg CF card in my laptop at all times... then when I want to have a file on the PPC, I don't even need to synchronize. Just send it to the CF drive, pop it out, and then pop it into the PocketPC.

I agree that these devices are kind of cool looking. But they're pretty much a one-trick pony.

Old 07-23-2002, 09:52 AM
st63z
Philosopher

http://www.nomadworld.com/products/muvo/

Now this is one fixed-memory device that I'm tempted by. Similar in size to the abovementioned Cruzer reader (MuVo is a 2-piece design with a total size of 2.9" x 1.4" x 0.6" @ 1oz), it's also an MP3/WMA player, using an AAA batt for 12hrs continuous play The cap/battery pack portion snaps off, and the base unit that you plug directly into the USB port is only half the width (so it shouldn't block adjacent ports). It's also post-W98 driverless, and comes in 64MB and 128MB sizes.

True, you already have the PDA for MP3/WMA playing, but the MuVo is good while in the gym or doing rec. activities.

It would be just so perfect if Creative implements removable SD card memory, and add an FM tuner to the unit!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this MuVo unique? Last time I was at CompUSA, I did remember seeing several other flash MP3 players that are also very small in size? But I didn't check to see if they have a built-in USB plug (no need for cable), or if they're driverless, too. But some of them at least use removable cards (like the Sony MS model).

Old 07-24-2002, 07:58 PM
Registered
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by st63z
A few even have an encryption option to protect your data from prying eyes should you lose the memory key Others also have a write-protect switch to prevent accidental erasure.
Before you trust securly USB devices like this you might want to read this( http://www.atstake.com/research/repo...ware_token.pdf ) regarding similar products...