Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 04-08-2002, 07:07 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Office.NET Preview?

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/office_ngo_preview.asp

There's a preview of sorts of Office.NET, although there are questions about it's authenticity. I have mixed feelings about the "software subscription" concept. If the price is right, it will lower the barrier for many people - when people I know ask me how much Office XP is, I brace myself for the inevitable sputtering of "HOW MUCH?" from their lips. I've always thought it amusing that everyone gets so worked up about the "unfair" price of the desktop OS when the Office suite is really the painful one for people to purchase ($99 US for XP Home doesn't seem outrageous to me). I referred my sister-in-law to 602 PC Suite the other day because I knew that all she really needed was a word processor and it seemed like a good tool. At any rate, Office.NET looks like it offers some interesting new features, even if it's just making the suite work online and making collaboration a breeze. Better than trying to install an Exchange server! Now the real question: how will the Pocket PC sync with a cloud of data? :-)

"A number of readers alerted me this week to a fascinating Shockwave animation that purports to demonstrate some of the online/subscription features of the next version of Microsoft Office, which will be called Office .NET. Code-named Office NGO ("Next Generation Office") in the animation, this Office version will include links to a number of online services, including a secure My Office Web site; a consolidated email account with Web-based Inbox; Office .NET Notifications; online scheduling with a sharable calendar; Meeting Workspaces for viewing agendas, pending tasks, and related documents, SharePoint Team Services-based Team Workspace for sharing information with team members; and a set of online content such as templates, online training, communities, and the like."

Old 04-08-2002, 07:12 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

I think the natively weak (compared to Office XP) pocket office suite is better suited to link up with Office.net in that it works with limited functionality away from the computer and when used in conjunction has more functionality, so in other words i think you'll see the model very similarly implemented until wireless at greater speeds (3G) is so pervasive that 60-80% of the handheld/phone using community is using compatible hardware, where you would have enough bandwidth to utilize it both remotely and effectively . Just my 2 cents!

Old 04-10-2002, 01:36 PM
Chubbergott
Ponderer

I'm always nervous about storing my files on a remote site and, let's face it, Security isn't Microsoft's middle name. That, however, isn't my only concern.

It would seem that what someone has come to be able to take for granted is being moved to the realm of those who have the money.

If files are stored on the internet somewhere, how much could a document potentially cost me if I have Autosave switched on? Are the documents really safe? Poor security is not only Microsoft's problem, there's hardly a web based organisation that hasn't had to shut down services for an hour, half a day, a day, a week or for ever because of people either trashing the service or gaining unauthorised access.

I have documents that I don't want the unintended to see, so the last place I'm gonna whip 'em is onto the internet.

I also noticed a reference to third party Office developers and the way that their software can be integrated through the interface provided by the suite. Does this mean that only Microsoft approved companies will now be able to develop such applications for Office? Is this how Microsoft intends to execute Bill's decision to make other technologies (whether hardware or software) falter thus ensuring only Microsoft products 'work'?

It looks pretty, but does it deliver enough? We'll wait and see......