Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Articles & Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2004, 11:00 PM
James Fee
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to James Fee Send a message via MSN to James Fee Send a message via Yahoo to James Fee Send a message via Skype™ to James Fee
Default "High-Definition DVDs Prepare for Battle"

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,116846,00.asp

"One day, you'll watch movies at home on 5-inch discs that make today's DVDs look like VHS. We know the basic technology that will make this happen: blue-light lasers that increase disc capacity, allowing one DVD to hold hours of HDTV-quality video. But what we don't know is which of the two blue-laser, HDTV-compatible formats will make it into your living room. The two competing formats are Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD. If you remember the VHS versus Betamax war of the early 1980s, be prepared--a similar format war may be starting again. And the war will be about more than just home video. Today's DVDs are a medium for computer software distribution, retail videos, and PC backups. So next-generation, blue-laser DVDs will have to do all these things as well. The first retail blue-laser units on the market--which are currently available only in Japan and cost thousands of dollars--are set-top video recorders."

Frankly I don't really care about all these formats as long as they play in my player. I wonder if we'll see DVD players that support both multiple formats such as burners that support +/- R. Deep down the consumer doesn't care as long as they are getting content.