Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Articles & Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2004, 01:13 AM
Crocuta
Thinker

Experienced people always forget about Pinacle Studio for beginners. That's because they forget that making choices isn't the only reason people throw up their hands and walk away. When I bought my first camcorder (analog, many years ago), I got a capture card and Premiere. I wasn't an aspiring pro or even a serious amateur; I just wanted to bring in my video and cut out the parts I didn't like. After a few weeks of struggling with the manual and a third-party book, I just gave up and walked away. I still shot my video, but like so many, I just played it back raw. It was just too much trouble.

Then when I got my first DV camcorder, I picked up Pinnacle Studio (DV). I opened the box, installed it and was editing my video within an hour. It's largely my success with Studio that sucked me far enough into the hobby so that I eventually revisited Premiere and then was willing to spend the time to learn it. And that's as it should be. I took the time to learn a more complicated system only when I outgrew the abilities of my beginner's system. In the meantime, I had a blast with Studio.

Listen, when recommending editing systems for new people, you have got to recognize that they need some instant success in order to get enthused about the hobby and Studio is a great way that people can do that while still having lots of tools at their disposal to grow with. I know the guy said his site is not about beginners, but he did mention Windows Moviemaker, so it seems a fair criticism. Where he puts Windows Moviemaker, I say substitute Studio.