Digital Home Thoughts

Digital Home Thoughts - News & Reviews for the Digital Home

Register in our forums so you're ready for our next giveaway contest...

Zune Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > DIGITAL HOME THOUGHTS > Digital Home Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2004, 02:17 AM
Montego
Pupil

I own a JVC MiniDV and A Sony Digital 8, and I would definitely say that as far as bang for the buck, Digital 8 is a pretty good value. Especially if you previously owned a Sony analog 8, you can put those tapes into the digital 8 and transfer over to your PC. I paid $800 for my cam about 2 years ago, and at the time, a Sony MiniDV with the same features as my D8 cost $1200. Another plus is that you can use regular Sony 8 tapes, which are much cheaper than MiniDV tapes...even the high end metal tapes are cheaper.

Last, my Digital 8 has a 1.3 megapixel digital still capability that saves to Memory stick. This was a feature that I was not really interested in at all, but I started shooting some stills with it and it actually makes really decent regular size prints. I was really surprised. I own a Sony F717, but a lot of times now if I'm out doing fun stuff with the video cam, I shoot stills with it and leave the F717 at home and just use it to shoot my "serious" stuff.

The downside of this is that I've read that Sony may be phasing out the D8 line, but yesterday I was looking at cams on the Circuit City site and a listing of the best selling cams showed a Sony D8 as number 1.

Anyway, I've been really satisified with my Sony except for the fact that it has no manual shutter speed adjustment like my JVS does.