Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Mechanicaldan
Neophyte
Default Just make it reliable

I work as an engineer for a big international company and have been using an IBM R50p for over 3 years. My company rolled out the HP NW8440 and NW9440. I could have upgraded, but I didn't for a couple of reasons. 1. I was waiting for Vista. 2. I didn't like the square front edge where my wrists would rest. 3. There didn't seem to be much of a performance improvement. 4. I like the ThinkVantage software suite and the FN+key features of the R50p. It's been great for regularly updating drivers. I have access to a dedicated IT department, but only use it when I need it. Most of the time, I manage my own laptop performance as best I can. I've only had to reformate once in 3 years. Unfortunately, with all the different software packages I have loaded, I have close to 100 processes running, but the R50P remains stable and reliable, and fast enough for what I need. A total of 4 USB ports would have been nice though.

I use Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Solidworks, and software packages specific to my daily work.

The one item that I would have loved to have been included was a PC Card wireless presenter remote simialar to the HP Bluetooth mouse: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q...12618_div.HTML

I give presenations regularly internally and externally to customers, and it would be great to just pull out a dedicated presentation remote. This would be a great item for business laptops, but not needed for personal users.

I haven't gotten the mouse, because I like a full size mouse when I'm working in my office, and I'll manage with the laptop touch point device in the center of the keyboard or the touch pad. Please keep both devices as it's really nice to use both.

I bought a desktop replacement Dell Precision M90 for my wife to use with the Adobe CS2 software she uses. It's a very nice laptop, and fast! It's also heavy and puts out enough heat that she complains, but she wanted a big screen. It is quite though.

I think the R50P with the smaller screen is nicer for travelling with, along with the small power supply block.