View Full Version : Is the iPad too heavy?

Brad Wasson
06-11-2010, 03:17 PM
I came across this short article (http://blog.olegkokorin.com/2010/05/13/ipads-main-problem/) recently. It is from iPad app developer MobileNoter:

iPad's main problem...

Our iPad arrived a couple of weeks ago. We use it to test iPad’s version of MobileNoter. While all previous comments (http://blog.olegkokorin.com/2010/01/30/why-ipad-is-an-epic-fail/) and comparison to the rock (http://blog.olegkokorin.com/2010/01/31/the-ipad-vs-a-rock/) still apply, there is a new problem with the iPad.
It is surprisingly heavy. So heavy that it is definitely not going to become a widespread household device that everybody wants. The iPad is nice, sleek, and all that. But when you take it into hand, you immediately realize that it is just another computer, not a miracle device.
Most modern netbooks and tablets (iPad included) are powerful enough for average Joe. They can render sites, play YouTube and even run sophisticated games. Thus device weight and battery life are becoming the most important features and main differentiator. The iPad doesn’t have any significant advantage in these categories against netbooks. So the battle with netbooks is not over.

I have to say that my first impression of the iPad was that it was heavier than I was expecting. However, I didn't think it was too heavy.

What is your experience - do you find it too heavy in the situations you use it for?

Jason Dunn
06-11-2010, 08:51 PM
I haven't seen the iPad in person yet - I should really go see one soon - but I've heard this "too heavy" comment from several iPad owners. Not so much that it's too heavy when you first pick it up, but that it's too heavy to be used for long period of time held up. It's a tricky thing to be sure, putting in high-quality glass and a big battery, but not having it be too heavy.

doogald
06-11-2010, 09:54 PM
It is heavier that you expect it to be, but I am sure that most people use it resting on a table or on their lap. If they made it any lighter, there would be no 10+ hour battery life, a smaller display, more fragile display, less solid structure.

Tony Rylow
06-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Having only spent about 15 minutes playing with iPads at BestBuy and the Apple Store, I agree that the device seems heavier than expected. I could understand it being a little uncomfortable after long periods of use. I would have purchased one, except that there is really no good way to take notes on it. There's some apps that let you take notes using your finger/sausage/ 3rd party stylus, but it really isn't designed for it.

Jason Dunn
06-11-2010, 11:39 PM
I would have purchased one, except that there is really no good way to take notes on it. There's some apps that let you take notes using your finger/sausage/ 3rd party stylus, but it really isn't designed for it.

It's weird how note taking is not on Apple's radar - they mustn't know how to do it really well, but the iPad is a natural size for note taking. Shame!

Sven Johannsen
06-12-2010, 03:43 AM
Gotta echo all above. I've had one since 'openning day' and agree that it is a bit heavier than might be expected. I also agree that is not excessive, and the trade offs, shorter battery life, maybe poorer materials, or spaceage light materials and greater cost wouldn't be worth it. Would be interesting to see a smaller iPad, maybe half to 2/3rd the size and see what happens.

Very much agree that the 'writing' experience sucks. Have resigned myself to this being a retreival device, web, media, even documents, but for production, if needed, will see it paired with a BT keyboard. That works surprisingly well. For what it does though it really does it well.

That limitation is why I was so looking forward to HPs Slate, assuming it would have the dual touch/stylus support of HPs TX and TM laptop/tablets/convertibles.

Brad Wasson
06-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Gotta echo all above. I've had one since 'openning day' and agree that it is a bit heavier than might be expected. I also agree that is not excessive, and the trade offs, shorter battery life, maybe poorer materials, or spaceage light materials and greater cost wouldn't be worth it. Would be interesting to see a smaller iPad, maybe half to 2/3rd the size and see what happens.

Very much agree that the 'writing' experience sucks. Have resigned myself to this being a retreival device, web, media, even documents, but for production, if needed, will see it paired with a BT keyboard. That works surprisingly well. For what it does though it really does it well.

That limitation is why I was so looking forward to HPs Slate, assuming it would have the dual touch/stylus support of HPs TX and TM laptop/tablets/convertibles.

Sven - have you any insight as to whether HP's future slate will have dual touch/stylus support?

Sven Johannsen
06-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Sven - have you any insight as to whether HP's future slate will have dual touch/stylus support?If you can get by the rumor that it isn't happening at all, there was a released/leaked HP produced comparison chart between the iPad and Slate. It indicated pen/digitizer support, as well as capacitive multi-touch.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/hp-slate-to-cost-549-have-1-6ghz-atom-z530-5-hour-battery/