View Full Version : 3-D TV Pricing from Panasonic and Samsung

Chris Gohlke
03-15-2010, 01:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35798789/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/' target='_blank'>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3579878...ch_and_gadgets/</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>"Panasonic's suggested retail price is $2,900 for a 50-inch plasma set, one pair of glasses and a 3-D Blu-ray player. An extra pair of glasses costs $150. South Korean competitor Samsung Electronics Co. announced Tuesday that its 3-D sets would go on sale this week. For $3,000, buyers get a 46-inch set, two pairs of glasses, a 3-D Blu-ray player and a 3-D copy of "Monsters vs. Aliens.""</em></p><p>Meh, totally not interested. &nbsp;I really have no desire to watch stuff in 3-D. &nbsp;Any time I've watched something in 3-D it pretty much guarantees a migraine. &nbsp;Plus there is not a heck of a lot of content available yet, so even if you really want this, you might as well wait until later in the year when there is more compelling content AND you can pick the gear up at a bit lower than the bleeding edge price of admission.</p>

Felix Torres
03-15-2010, 02:12 PM
3D feeds into a lot of corporate agendas; the studios see it as an "unrippable" format, the hardware companies see it as a step-up premium product that immediately "obsoletes" existing hardware, and everybody sees it as an excuse to raise prices.

Only, "minor" problem is that half the market still hasn't moved to 2D HD and the other half just finished moving. Given that 3D is still not fully defined, much less tested, there is precious little content, and it requires all-new gear, from the display to the AV receiver, the content source to the pricey goggles...

Home theater buffs, the golden eyeball crowd may be buying into this.
The mainstream? Not soon. After the fiasco of the constantly redefined BD spec (its not finalized yet, after 5 years on the market?) smart consumers will likely wait to see what the long term reports look like.

This is especially true of Panasonic plasmas, which are in the midst of a performance-degradation scandal...

I'm steering clear of this for at least 3 years.

Jason Dunn
03-15-2010, 11:09 PM
I agree with Felix. 3D is going to be on a slow adoption curve, much like Blu-ray, only even slower. I've got three HD TVs in my house right now, and they're not getting replaced until they break or I replace them with something significantly better from a technology standpoint. 3D will have to REALLY blow me away to make me replace any of those TVs...

Reid Kistler
03-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Would agree with Felix that 3D sets will be bought by the early adapters - or at least those with high enough disposable income!

OTOH, if I were still running SD, or looking to upgrade a main HD set anyway, MIGHT find a 3D Capable set worth considering IF 1) Incremental Cost over a same size 2D set is within reason, and 2) PQ does not suffer when viewing 2D programming (as compared to a 2D HD set).

Both of those issues at least somewhat Subjective, but it seems at least possible that some of the population base still stuck with SD will skip directly to 3D sets. Would have to guess that that is what the manufacturers are hoping for....

Personally, will join those who argue for waiting until prices come down, specs are settled upon (if they ever are!), and more content is available - AND we happen to need to replace one of our current HD sets!