View Full Version : Hello World: The Chronicles of a Mac Noob

Michael Barrett
11-18-2008, 08:00 PM
<p>What happens when you set a MacBook down in front of a lifelong Windows developer?&nbsp; Pure chaos.</p><p>I have been using and working with DOS and/or Windows-based computers for more than 25 years.&nbsp; I got my first computer during my freshman year of college and it came in the form of a Timex-Sinclair 1000.&nbsp; It was $99, came with 2K of RAM, required a cassette recorder to load programs and you needed a television because it did not come with a monitor.&nbsp; We sure have come a long way since then, haven't we?</p><p>I've only been a Mac user for two weeks, but in that short time I have come to realize exactly why most Apple users are considered "fanboys" by people looking in from the outside.&nbsp; It's hard not to boast about the intuitive design of the operating system, or the way applications work together seamlessly.&nbsp; There have been no "blue screens of death" or "fatal exception errors".&nbsp; Are there such things for the Mac?&nbsp; I guess I'll find out eventually, but right now it all works. Brilliantly.</p><p>As I opened the MacBook for the first time I had my reservations, but those reservations faded quickly and were replaced with ideas for new software.&nbsp; I'm a developer, and now I have the bug to develop something for the Mac.&nbsp; Although my day job will always require the use of a PC, I can see myself doing everything else on the Mac.&nbsp; I'm sure it won't be long until I am beta testing something.</p><p>When Vincent invited me to write here at Apple Thoughts, I thought he was crazy in the head, but hopefully I can bring a different perspective to the table that won't drive too many people crazy.&nbsp; I hope to spotlight Mac software that many of you have used for years while helping others see that not every compliment towards Apple comes from a fanboy.</p><p>One thing is for sure, after 25 years in the industry, it's weird being a newbie again.</p>

Vincent Ferrari
11-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Welcome aboard :-) It's nice to see a convert even at your tender age! :p

Joe Johaneman
11-18-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm in the same boat you are. I was a windows developer for years. I switched to Mac mainly because if Vista was the future of PCs, I wanted no part of it. I was also in love with the UI on my iPod touch. I haven't looked back.

Welcome aboard. :-)

Jason Dunn
11-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Welcome Michael! I think having a fresh perspective will be a great thing.

Darius Wey
11-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Welcome to the team, Michael!

Michael Barrett
11-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks, everybody, for the very warm welcome.

Janak Parekh
11-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Welcome to the team, Michael! Have you felt the need to rant about the changed behavior of home/end/etc. and jumping around text boxes yet? ;) That was my biggest pain point at first.

Oh, and for what it's worth, a Timex Sinclair was the first machine I used, too, before moving to the Commodore 64, then to an EAGLE PC clone, and from there into PC-land from roughly 1982 to 2005 until getting my first Powerbook G4... so I can sympathize.

--janak

sgdossey
11-18-2008, 11:02 PM
I have only been in the computer field as a network engineer for approx 12 years. I have no hate for the Windows platform, but decided to try a macbook. I did this as a lot of people at my company are switching and I though that I should at least be able to help people with questions about them.

My first order of business was to load up Vista with boot camp which I did so that I would have a useful piece of hardware, so I thought. Well, I haven't fired up Vista since I installed it. The Mac software has been a joy. Some of it has been an interesting hobby, but I am actually starting to prefer it as my main system now.

I will say that it is nice to see both sides (Mac & Windows). At least now when I hear the bashing, I can understand both point of views.

Michael Barrett
11-18-2008, 11:40 PM
I took a detour at the Vic 20 before I hit the Commodore 64, but I followed pretty much the same path. My only mistake was not getting a Mac years ago.

Michael Barrett
11-19-2008, 12:04 AM
My first order of business was to load up Vista with boot camp which I did so that I would have a useful piece of hardware, so I thought. Well, I haven't fired up Vista since I installed it. The Mac software has been a joy. Some of it has been an interesting hobby, but I am actually starting to prefer it as my main system now.

I thought for sure the first thing I would do was load Windows, but after spending an hour looking around and taking inventory of what I could do, I decided that loading windows on this machine would have been more like a downgrade than anything else.

I am quite comfortable working in both platforms, but for the past week or so I have done most of my web development work on the Mac. It just feels more natural at this point.