View Full Version : Name your Mac

k.satirli
11-18-2008, 01:58 AM
Your Mac is a piece of your life, heck, Apple even states that my new MacBook Pro and I were made for each other, so it is only fitting to give your baby a name.

I am currently trying to come up with a name for mine, something in the areas of Aztec or Mayan gods (what can I say, I love mythology!) and have narrowed it down to a few names.

What about the others here, how do you call your Mac(s)?

Darius Wey
11-18-2008, 04:35 AM
I am currently trying to come up with a name for mine, something in the areas of Aztec or Mayan gods (what can I say, I love mythology!) and have narrowed it down to a few names.

What about the others here, how do you call your Mac(s)?

After natural satellites (i.e., moons), which for the most part, follow Greek and Norse mythology.

By the way, welcome to the forums. :)

doogald
11-18-2008, 05:06 AM
All of my stuff is based on MacBeth. The two wireless access points are Glamis and Cawdor; the computers are named after characters (Banquo and Duncan; the Windows VM is named Donalbain.) I have a travel router that I use on trips (for when there is only ethernet in the room and I want to roam) which is called Birnamwood (I thought that one particularly clever, actually.)

Well, the only exception is the Mac Mini that we use as a media server, which is called Mini Me.

TopDog
11-18-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm probably a bit boring... they are simply called "MacMini" and "BlackBook" (because it's black...).

I also have a Time Capsule on my home network, it's simply called "Fileserver" :-)

Vincent Ferrari
11-18-2008, 03:18 PM
I have to say mine are petty boring also. Beth's MacBook and Vinny's MacBook Pro.

How original, right?

I was thinking of going Star Trek on the names, though. My MacBook Pro could be the NCC-1701D and my wife's could be the Excelsior...

I don't know. I think I've already run out of Starships. Maybe I will stick to generic names after all!

k.satirli
11-20-2008, 11:51 PM
@darius thanks, been reading Thoughts* for years now, just never really participated on the forums, but the day I got my "new soul", was the day I felt that it was time for some change :)

@TopDog boring depends on the definition. See it as being less geeky than others ;-)

@doogald MacBeth and LotR are famous amongst my geeky friends too. It shows that "we" not only know our tech, but also our literature (classic and pop)

@Vincent have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek_ships in that case