View Full Version : Microsoft Patches Windows Mobile 6.1 SMTP Bug

Ed Hansberry
11-11-2008, 02:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d9d71b2e-d2dd-44f2-86e5-1e53aad7fb7a&displaylang=en&tm' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...splaylang=en&tm</a><br /><br /></div><p>Microsoft has patched the bug in Windows Mobile 6.1 where the email database could become corrupt and you are unable to send emails via POP3 or IMAP4 through an SMTP server. Outlook/Exchange emails, as well as SMS/MMS messages were unaffected. <a href="http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/f323/you-may-lose-ability-sent-email-via-smtp-windows-mobile-6-1-device-91060.html" target="_blank">We discussed this here recently</a>.<br /><br /><em>"This behavior is associated with a feature that is introduced in Windows Mobile 6.1. The feature allows for mobile operators to specify an alternate SMTP server name that is used if e-mail messages cannot be sent by using the user-specified SMTP server name. If the mobile operator does not specify an alternate SMTP server name and if the Windows Mobile 6.1-based device does not connect, the e-mail account is corrupted and cannot send e-mail messages."</em><br /><br />There is a 105KB CAB file to copy to your device and install from there or a 652KB MSI file to install while docked to your PC. I haven't tried to download directly from that page on my WM6.1 device yet. I don't understand why the MS site says this is supported on WM 6.0 as well as 6.1. My understanding is this bug is the result of a new feature in 6.1. It does affect both the Smartphone and Pocket PC variants, so if you have WM 6.1 and use POP3 or IMAP4 email, you should install this patch, and keep it handy. I suspect it would be lost if you hard reset your device for whatever reason.</p>

Snowmation
11-11-2008, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I've never had this issue, but I'm pretty happy to see Microsoft fix the problem and host the files on their own site instead of waiting for carriers to "test" and then eventually make it available to customers.

freitasm
11-11-2008, 03:20 AM
"Hey what about this 'Windows Update' icon in my Windows Mobile device?"
"Never mind"...

;)

Phillip Dyson
11-11-2008, 03:23 AM
"Never mind"...

;)

That's a good point. If Microsoft wont use it, why would they expect carriers or manufacturers to.

Microsoft could certainly try to show the value add.

Snowmation
11-11-2008, 04:04 AM
"Never mind"...

;)
LOL....yeah that's a good point. *sigh*

cortez
11-11-2008, 06:49 AM
i've had this problem sending text msgs 6 or 7 times on 2 different devices in the past 3 weeks and couldn't figure out what was causing the problem. hopefully this will fix it. yeah, so much for the "Windows Update" on our phones...

Rocco Augusto
11-11-2008, 08:39 AM
"Never mind"...

;)

Don't even get me started on that. For the life of me I cannot think of a valid excuse as to why this feature has not been utilized. This is why it was created, was it not? :confused:

Ed Hansberry
11-11-2008, 11:38 AM
For what it is worth, you can download the CAB file directly from the MS site if you are reading this on your device.

No matter how you get the CAB there, once you tap on it on your device, it will immediately install and reboot your machine - no questions asked, so make sure you save any work you were doing before installing it.

Robrecht
11-11-2008, 12:18 PM
i've had this problem sending text msgs 6 or 7 times on 2 different devices in the past 3 weeks and couldn't figure out what was causing the problem. hopefully this will fix it. yeah, so much for the "Windows Update" on our phones...
This particular issue affects e-mail only, so I'm afraid the patch won't fix your text messaging problem.

Funny: I've had my WM6.1 Touch Pro for months, and have been able to send e-mail via smtp without problems until a week ago. And now, right after this issue had me totally baffled, Microsoft releases a fix! Especially for me, I like to think. ;)

emuelle1
11-11-2008, 12:35 PM
I had the problem hit me full force on a BlackJack II. It worked fine for a couple of weeks then suddenly I couldn't send more than 3 emails without having to delete and recreate my gmail account. I took the BlackJack II back for an Epix, and I haven't had that problem with the Epix yet, but I've been using FlexMail 2007 which doesn't seem affected.

I think the Windows Update on WM 6.x devices is a bug not a feature. I think it's there for decoration purposes only.

cortez
11-11-2008, 04:21 PM
This particular issue affects e-mail only, so I'm afraid the patch won't fix your text messaging problem.

Funny: I've had my WM6.1 Touch Pro for months, and have been able to send e-mail via smtp without problems until a week ago. And now, right after this issue had me totally baffled, Microsoft releases a fix! Especially for me, I like to think. ;) thanks for pointing out my typo... i meant to type email messages.

questionfear
11-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Before I apply this patch, does it override the cab file that was floating around (the Tracy and Matt fix I think it was called), or should I delete that first just to be safe?

Ed Hansberry
11-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Before I apply this patch, does it override the cab file that was floating around (the Tracy and Matt fix I think it was called), or should I delete that first just to be safe?

I'd be inclined to delete the registry hack that Tracy and Matt had just so there is no confusion.

questionfear
11-11-2008, 07:32 PM
I'd be inclined to delete the registry hack that Tracy and Matt had just so there is no confusion.

I deleted the .CAB file from them, and soft reset my Epix. Just installed the MS patch and sent a test email without a hitch.

V-iPAQ
11-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Very nice. Now I wonder what this patch will break next!
And how many years before HTC puts it in their roms. Oh sorry, my TC is obsolete already.

nycsmartphone
11-12-2008, 12:55 AM
I installed the smtp patch and my pop mail account seems to have disappeared form my phone , BlackJack II with 6.1. The number of email messages for the account displays on my home screen but the pop account is not in the list of messaging accounts. I cannot access the pop account to see the messages. The only two accounts which show now are my Outlook inbox synced from my computer and my text messages. I tried to setup the account again with the same name but cannot because it says that name is already being used. I tried to setup the account again, twice, with a different name. I make it all the way through the setup process but the account never shows up.

Unfortunately I installed the patch without having experienced the problems it was intended to fix. I did it as a precaution. Any suggestions?

UPDATE SOLUTION! I uninstalled the patch. Never thought that would be easy but it was. My original pop account reappeared and the two new accounts I added appeared also. I am very happy.

hewlpac
11-12-2008, 01:50 AM
I do not recommend this update for the HTC Touch by Sprint. It did not allow the email to function at all until I uninstalled it. Beware!

mtnmedic
11-14-2008, 04:02 AM
Well I downloaded the cab and applied it. Nothing bad happened...yet? LOL

I'm happy to see M$ promptly addressing a technical issue. However, I'm still pretty bummed out about the Windows Update feature on my Touch Pro not doing anything other than telling me "there are no updates available at this time". It would have been a great way to roll out this patch.