View Full Version : Starting to consider a Zune

Ed Hansberry
10-11-2008, 03:30 PM
I have a 4 year old Creative Zen 6GB and am thinking about getting a Zune. The number one hold up was Audible support, which the Zune now has as I understand it.

The number 2 hold up is bookmarks. I listen to 1-2 hr long podcasts about 30 minutes at a time. Typically in the morning I'll listen to the WSJ on Audible, then in the afternoon, pickup wherever I left off the previous afternoon on a podcast. Can the Zune handle that without me having to remember how far along I was in the podcast and fast forwarding to it?

Oh, one other thing. Can the Zune handle video produced by Clone DVD Mobile? SlySoft CloneDVD mobile | DVD to PSP, DVD to iVideo, DVD to ZEN (http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonedvd-mobile.html) - Might get away from using an HTC Universal to watch video if the Zune can handle it.

David Tucker
10-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Noone wants to tell you? ;)

Yes, if you stop a podcast in the middle, you have an option to either resume or play from the beginning I believe (I know you definitely do in the video podcasts.)

onlydarksets
10-15-2008, 12:51 AM
Oh, one other thing. Can the Zune handle video produced by Clone DVD Mobile? SlySoft CloneDVD mobile | DVD to PSP, DVD to iVideo, DVD to ZEN (http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonedvd-mobile.html) - Might get away from using an HTC Universal to watch video if the Zune can handle it.
MP4/AAC and H.264/AAC in MP4 container - yes. DivX, XviD - no. I'm not sure about MP4/MP3 or H.264/MP3.

Just stick with the iPod settings. The Zune can handle anything the iPod can play.

onlydarksets
10-15-2008, 01:04 PM
MP4/AAC and H.264/AAC in MP4 container - yes. DivX, XviD - no. I'm not sure about MP4/MP3 or H.264/MP3.

Just stick with the iPod settings. The Zune can handle anything the iPod can play.

I stand corrected. Last night I discovered that the Zune doesn't like 60fps for video. I had to reduce the frame rate to 29.97fps.

Jason Dunn
10-15-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't have CloneDVD Mobile in front of me, but I think they added a Zune preset, didn't they? If not, it's easy enough to use the WMV tool and create a 320 x 240 video at 1000 kbps. Or you could go h.264 as well.

Ed Hansberry
10-15-2008, 07:54 PM
I don't have CloneDVD Mobile in front of me, but I think they added a Zune preset, didn't they? If not, it's easy enough to use the WMV tool and create a 320 x 240 video at 1000 kbps. Or you could go h.264 as well.

Oops, you are right. It is under "Microsoft." I was looking under "zune" and there was nothing listed. WMV is listed as WMV at the top, not Microsoft, so their preset listing is a bit inconsistent.

On the podcast stop feature, I'll be curious to see how well that works for me. I ordered it and the tracking says it will be home when I get there tonight, so i'll know soon enough. I hope I like it. I love my Creative Zen 6GB, but it is getting old and the battery life is getting short.

Jason Dunn
10-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Oops, you are right. It is under "Microsoft." I was looking under "zune" and there was nothing listed. WMV is listed as WMV at the top, not Microsoft, so their preset listing is a bit inconsistent.

Yeah, Slysoft is really sloppy about how they've implemented the device/company names in the program...

David Tucker
10-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Ed, which one did you get? I hope you like it but I think you really will!

Ed Hansberry
10-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Ed, which one did you get? I hope you like it but I think you really will!

The 8GB. So far I like it. Would have liked a bigger size, but cannot complain.

Totally ridiculous it won't import WMP11 playlists, especially when all you have to do is drop to a command prompt, go to the playlist folder and type copy *.wpl *.zpl - the average user should never have to do that
Audible lived up to its stelllar repulation as haveing the most suck in the configuration. UPgraded, have to run as Admin, uninstall, reinstall, dock, undock, sprinkle chicken blood over USB cables, activate, configure, scream, etc.
Seems to work well for me on the commuting.
Got a TV show from Tivo on there. Happy about that, but not happy it takes 2 conversions - one from SPB Mobile DVD and then again in the sync process.
Haven't tested DVD ripping in the CloneMobileDVD app. Can't use SPB for taht because I have only MS decoders in Vista. Expect no problems.
haven't figured out the networking either. It choked trying to connect to my home network last night. Will it only rmember 1? If so, that is useless. I need home and my portable Wifi router. Ok, not useless, but less than optimal.
I'd like to get a case that has a kickstand to prop it up correctly so I can watch video without holding it.

Oh, and I hate the connector. Why oh WHY can it not be a mini-USB. I have to buy an extra cable.

David Tucker
10-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Got a TV show from Tivo on there. Happy about that, but not happy it takes 2 conversions - one from SPB Mobile DVD and then again in the sync process.

The key here is to make sure when you do the first conversion is to get it into a usable format for the Zune. That will ensure the software doesn't have to do any encoding.

haven't figured out the networking either. It choked trying to connect to my home network last night. Will it only rmember 1? If so, that is useless. I need home and my portable Wifi router. Ok, not useless, but less than optimal.I'd like to get a case that has a kickstand to prop it up correctly so I can watch video without holding it.

Hmm, that's a good question. I only connect at home with any regularity so I can't say. As for the case...I'd highly recommend the Vaja. Review for that will be up soon. :)

Oh, and I hate the connector. Why oh WHY can it not be a mini-USB. I have to buy an extra cable.

Yeah, welcome to the 21st century :(

onlydarksets
10-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Get them from here:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=zune&x=0&y=0

At least then it's not a financial hassle, too!