View Full Version : How good is good enough?

Perk
01-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Ever since my Casio E100, I've been hooked on the MS Organizer thing. I got to thinking that after all the years, I still have unstable software and hardware. Is it me, or are we just buying the next gen before they got the last one stable?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not giving mine up. My appointment alarm goes off to remind me to get to my next meeting on time while the BT GPS accesses my Outlook contacts to find and log my mileage and guide me to my that very appointment while I'm conducting business on my BT earpiece. We all know that's just the beginning of what you can do with these things and that there really is nothing better. But shouldn't it be even better still instead of just doing even more?

I mean I live my business life by this thing and pretty much all my other business equipment seems to work more reliably. Am I just expecting too much?

Mike

Sven Johannsen
01-05-2008, 12:20 AM
Unfortunately you can't grow a business or do an ad campaign around, "you know that stuff we put out last time...it works now". So there is always the push for more and newer, with little time to perfect the old it seems.

IanB
01-05-2008, 04:02 AM
Am I the only person that thinks that their device is better than good enough? I have an Orange SPV M700 and wouldn't be without it. I use it for a number of different things and have no major issues at all.

-Phone quality (surely the most important feature of a phone) is good.
-It can send text msgs, emails etc without problem.
-My contacts and diary sync with Outlook every time.
-Wifi connects to my wireless network and those of friends as required.
-I use the built in GPS with TOM TOM sat Nav when driving and with Memory Map OS maps when walking. Sure it takes a couple of mins to locate me sometimes but works flawlessly after that.
-I use the Opera Mini 4 browser to view the Internet on a daily basis, including sites such as this one. It works with 3G or Wifi without me even thinking about it.
-I read ebooks on it, using MobiPocket reader. The device is lighter to hold than many books - important when reading in bed!
-The camera is ok. Not great but I have a proper camera for serious use.
-I can watch DVDs on it. I use a simple program on my computer to convert DVDs to a suitable format and size. Will never replace my TV but great when away from home or stuck in airport etc.
-I use the MP3 player. I generally carry around 10 albums around at a time.

All this is done on one device, with a single 4 GB memory card.

Sure it is not perfect. It is only WM5 for a start. Many things could be improved. But you can say that about anything. My car is more than good enought to get me around, fuel economy is one of the best in its class but I still can dream about doubling the number of miles I can drive on one tank of fuel.

Having started out on smartphones with an SPV E200 running Windows Mobile 2003 nearly 5 years ago, the M700 is a vast improvement. I am very happy with what I have. Hopefully in the next 5 years things will continue to improve at the same rate.