View Full Version : Outlook Email

jadesse
09-27-2007, 09:27 PM
I just recent got a Cingular 3125 with the smartphone data connect plan. I had been using a Dell Axim for quite a while but never email because GPRS tethering was extremely slow. I purchased the 3125 through my company & it was basically free.

My job requires me to be out in the field & my company is too cheap to spring for wireless cards for our laptops. I figured the 3125 would suffice just for send & receive the occasional email. This is the problem.

It seems that Outlook email only allows you to sync your outlook email form your PC to the phone. It does not allow you to send & receive via your phone. This is without setting up an additional account. Which to me is pointless. When I purchased the phone I setup an ATT Yahoo sub account, which I want to use for strictly work use. You would think that with MS Outlook configured for that account on my laptop that those setting would then translate to WM5 Outlook as well. This does not appear to be the case.

I did setup an additional account on my phone with the same settings. Therefore I can send & receive emails from that account on my phone. The problem is that I cannot sync those messages to my laptop. Those same messages download again once I connect my laptop to the Internet. Am I just missing something?

Is there a way to save email attachments to the storage card? This seems to yet another dumb move on MS.

Is there an alternative email program that will sync with outlook?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Cybrid
09-27-2007, 10:23 PM
I just recent got a Cingular 3125 with the smartphone data connect plan. I had been using a Dell Axim for quite a while but never email because GPRS tethering was extremely slow. I purchased the 3125 through my company & it was basically free.

My job requires me to be out in the field & my company is too cheap to spring for wireless cards for our laptops. I figured the 3125 would suffice just for send & receive the occasional email. This is the problem.

It seems that Outlook email only allows you to sync your outlook email form your PC to the phone. It does not allow you to send & receive via your phone. This is without setting up an additional account. Which to me is pointless. When I purchased the phone I setup an ATT Yahoo sub account, which I want to use for strictly work use. You would think that with MS Outlook configured for that account on my laptop that those setting would then translate to WM5 Outlook as well. This does not appear to be the case.

I did setup an additional account on my phone with the same settings. Therefore I can send & receive emails from that account on my phone. The problem is that I cannot sync those messages to my laptop. Those same messages download again once I connect my laptop to the Internet. Am I just missing something?

Is there a way to save email attachments to the storage card? This seems to yet another dumb move on MS.

Is there an alternative email program that will sync with outlook?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.Set the device to "leave messages on server". This way the next time you connect using the laptop, it can be re-downloaded. The drawback of course is messages you've deleted, actioned will need to be deleted again.

The only other option is an exchange acount.

Yes, you can save message attachments to a storage card.

jadesse
09-30-2007, 05:44 AM
The problem is with MS Outlook on my phone. When I open outlook I am give 3 choices.

1. Text Messages
2. Outlook Email
3. MMS (have no idea)

I have a 4th which is ATT. This is the account that I created that has the exact same settings as my Outlook account settings on my laptop.

With just the Outlook email on the phone I cannot change the account settings are send & receive. I do get the option to send & receive when the phone is connected to the laptop. This kind of defeats the purpose of data connection on my phone.

Like I said beforeI can receive emails just fine using the ATT account that I created. With that account my phone & laptop will not sync. If I receive a message on my phone first. In order for that message to appear on my laptop it has to download it which requires an internet connection.

I also do not have any option to save attchments. NOTE: My phone is only a smartphone & not a PDA phone. This is where some of my problems reside.

I have been able to download attachments using Flex Mail but it cost $30. Why the hell should I have to pay that kind of money for a fuction that already should exist?

Sven Johannsen
09-30-2007, 08:06 PM
The Outlook option on the phone is dependent on whether you are set up to sync with your desktop, i.e. Outlook and ActiveSync. or to sync with the Server directly. The latter option makes the Outlook client on the phone just another client to your server account and will download and upload mail directly to your Exchange mailbox. This will require assistance from your IT staff though. They need to set things up for you in Exchange.

Do I understand correctly, though, that you are using your ATT account as your business account? It appears that it is set up as a POP3 account, and in that case you likely have no alternative to setting up the phone the way you have it. It defaults to leaving e-mails on the server, allowing you to gather the mail from a fixed location when you get to one. I don't believe that there is any e-mail program that would allow you to sync the two independent PoP3 clients. It's a limitation of how the mail server works, not the clients, AFAIK.

You might want to investigate a Hosted Exchange service for your work e-mail needs, if you need better synchronization between your phone and desktop mail support.

Cybrid
10-01-2007, 04:27 AM
1. Text Messages
2. Outlook Email
3. MMS (have no idea)

NOTE: My phone is only a smartphone & not a PDA phone. This is where some of my problems reside.Text message=Short Messaging Service, MMS=Multimedia Messaging Service which which is an extension of SMS allowing multimedia (pics, music, ringtones, video clips) to be shared phone to phone. HTH.

Try this;
right click a message & and download the entire message including attachments.
On the top left of the message, there will be a paper clip. That attachment can be opened and resaved on a storage card.
Additionally since you are carrying your laptop anyway...You could tether your phone to your laptop. Allowing the same functionality as a wireless laptop card. This may however carry additional charges dependent on your carrier TOS.

jadesse
10-03-2007, 09:36 PM
The Outlook option on the phone is dependent on whether you are set up to sync with your desktop, i.e. Outlook and ActiveSync. or to sync with the Server directly. The latter option makes the Outlook client on the phone just another client to your server account and will download and upload mail directly to your Exchange mailbox. This will require assistance from your IT staff though. They need to set things up for you in Exchange.

Do I understand correctly, though, that you are using your ATT account as your business account? It appears that it is set up as a POP3 account, and in that case you likely have no alternative to setting up the phone the way you have it. It defaults to leaving e-mails on the server, allowing you to gather the mail from a fixed location when you get to one. I don't believe that there is any e-mail program that would allow you to sync the two independent PoP3 clients. It's a limitation of how the mail server works, not the clients, AFAIK.

You might want to investigate a Hosted Exchange service for your work e-mail needs, if you need better synchronization between your phone and desktop mail support.

My company uses Lotus Notes, which makes things more complicated. My ATT account is a sub-account that I created to send & receive work related emails in a pinch. This account has nothing to with work. It is simply a person account that I created for work purposes. From the sound of things I am stuck with what I have. All I want to do is sync the ATT account on my phone with Outlook. That is what I assumed I would be able to do. This is not the case since I had to create the ATT account on my phone in order to send & receive email. I thought the Active Sync would set the Outlook account settings on my phone form my laptop. So that I wouldn't have had to create the ATT count on my phone.

With the default Outlook account on my phone there is no option to send/receive email.

jadesse
10-03-2007, 09:50 PM
1. Text Messages
2. Outlook Email
3. MMS (have no idea)

NOTE: My phone is only a smartphone & not a PDA phone. This is where some of my problems reside.Text message=Short Messaging Service, MMS=Multimedia Messaging Service which which is an extension of SMS allowing multimedia (pics, music, ringtones, video clips) to be shared phone to phone. HTH.

Try this;
right click a message & and download the entire message including attachments.
On the top left of the message, there will be a paper clip. That attachment can be opened and resaved on a storage card.
Additionally since you are carrying your laptop anyway...You could tether your phone to your laptop. Allowing the same functionality as a wireless laptop card. This may however carry additional charges dependent on your carrier TOS.

Most of my attachments are Word documnets. I do download the whole message. I am only given the option to view/open the document using ClearVue. There is no option to save it.

Cybrid
10-08-2007, 06:10 AM
Ahh. I see...I have a PPC and PPC phone...Both have Word Mobile and don't need 3rd party tools like Clearvue.

The other option...Use the phone as a modem for laptop.