View Full Version : Help! Why am I locking up all the time?

schmenge
04-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Earlier this week I decided to do some "spring cleaning" and did a hard reset. With the exception of no reinstalling a phone skin (trying to live with the default skin and save the memory) I have all the same applications as before, installed to the same locations. But about 30-40% of the time when I do a soft reset my device will lockup. I have a Cingular 8125 (HTC Wizard) running WM5 and the latest HTC ROM.

To try and track this down I removed everything from my startup folder and disabled all Today plugins then started doing reset after reset. I then started adding things back one by one. To make an already long story short it seems to be an issue when the Today screen plugins are being loaded, and is not any particular plugin (I run three, all third party).

Of the three one has a very small memory footprint, the second kind of medium and the third a little larger. There does seem to be a relationship between how many plugins (and size) I am loading and the frequency of the lockups. With only the smaller plugin I have reset 4 times with no problems. With only the medium it is about 1 of three and with all three loaded it is almost 1/2 the time. All the plugins are the same version I was running (without this problem) before the reset.

I am running a few "tweaks" via Tweaks2K2 and SK Tools, but these are also the same tweaks I ran before. 21 megs of storage and 18 for memory. I'll probably forget something else to put into the equation.

Any ideas? I could do another reset and hope for the best, but (insert whining here) I just got everything reconfigured. :(

Cybrid
04-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Consider making backups as you build.
Once built, & PI is loaded, make another backup. Annotate the builds with software versions installed.
You can now use that as a rebuild tool. A much quicker process if a large portion of your software doesn't change regularly.