View Full Version : Arima Communications: Flaming Into The Windows Mobile Market

Nurhisham Hussein
01-10-2007, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070109PD218.html' target='_blank'>http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070109PD218.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Arima Communications will push its PDA handset business in 2007 and expects the sector will account for 20% its overall revenues in 2007. Arima plans to roll out eight PDA handsets in 2007, said the company. Except for the first model, which will support 3G services, the other seven models will support 3.5G and will adopt the EMP (Ericsson Mobile Platform) solution."</i><br /><br />That first model happens to be the O2 Flame, which makes Arima's first foray right at the high-end of the market. As one of the major suppliers for Sony Ericsson, Arima certainly has the know-how for the phone side of things. All I can say is - the more competition, the better for us consumers!

Menneisyys
01-10-2007, 10:14 PM
WTF? No HSDPA in the O2 Flame?! Bummer :(

JesterMania
01-10-2007, 10:38 PM
WTF? No HSDPA in the O2 Flame?! Bummer :(

Yeah, and looking at the pre-release specs on PDAdb.net, it seems only tri-band GSM and single-band UMTS too (there's no love for us North Americans). Such a crippled beast... I'm interested to see if their other 7 handsets will be just as ridiculously crippled.

SteveHoward999
01-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Yeah, and looking at the pre-release specs on PDAdb.net, it seems only tri-band GSM and single-band UMTS too (there's no love for us North Americans). Such a crippled beast... I'm interested to see if their other 7 handsets will be just as ridiculously crippled.

When the American market becomes as 'free' as others, escaping the telco stranglehold then maybe the American market will no longer be treated like the also-ran that it is today.

Start writing to your representatives now :-)

vilasman
01-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Ok I have a question,cause I am a little technically challenged. Will the flame work on the t-mobile network in the US?"

SteveHoward999
01-13-2007, 01:48 AM
Ok I have a question,cause I am a little technically challenged. Will the flame work on the t-mobile network in the US?"

I'd expect patchy coverage. Tri-band usually seems to mean that the main GSM band supported in the US is missed off ... if US is 850, then 900 is included on the phone, or if the US is 900, then the phone is 850.

Not always. But usually.

My experience with my olf UK-market Nokia 6100 was that I could get signal in many, but not all, partd of America that I visited. Some cities I simply got a big fat zero signal :-(

So even if it is tri-band, and has the 'wrong' band, it is still possible that you could get decent coverage where you life.

That's the long way round of saying "it depends" :-)