View Full Version : Wifi ActiveSynce without cable first?

wangsoft
07-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Is it possible to do Wifi activesyncs without ever first setting things up using a cable? I'm poking around with ActiveSync 3.8 and it does not appear so, but if there a config file or something anybody can send me that I can drop into a folder and "fake" that I have made the initial cable connection which will allow me to do Wifi syncs?

See, a pin broke off my axim x30 and although the power adapter still works, the data cable does not (I just get a USB unrecognised device). Thank you!

Sven Johannsen
07-22-2006, 12:23 AM
A long time ago I remember some guys experimenting with that and having some minor success, but it seemed non-trivial. You should be able to set up an IR partnership initially. Of course that requires an IR port on the PC side. Theoretically initial sync via BT should work too, but again that requires BT on the PC.

gwinter
07-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Using IR and BT to establish partnership should work. I've tried the BT before and it is sometimes not quite simple. Wifi, however, will definitely NOT work. You'll have to establish partnership with other methods first.

Sven Johannsen
07-22-2006, 05:05 PM
See, a pin broke off my axim x30 and although the power adapter still works, the data cable does not (I just get a USB unrecognised device). Thank you!
BTW, have you contacted Dell or PPCTechs about a possible repair?

wangsoft
07-26-2006, 04:36 AM
Errr I got my device 3rd hand. :P No chance of warrantee. Anyways, I ordered a bluetooth usb dongle for about ten bucks off ebay. Hopefully it won't be _too_ complicated.

Thanks for your help guys!