View Full Version : Where Do You Get Your Email From?

Jason Dunn
04-19-2006, 07:31 PM
I've been involved in some conversations about email on Pocket PCs lately, and I was curious about how the readers here do email on their Pocket PCs. I'm asking specifically about direct email access, so if the only way you do email is when you cradle and Activesync with Outlook, select the last option.

Jerry Raia
04-19-2006, 07:43 PM
I do "all the above" but mostly from a Hosted Exchange Server.

JonnoB
04-19-2006, 07:47 PM
I answered with #1, but it really I use multiple... primarily #1 and #3 combined. I connect to an Exchange Server that I use for work that I happen to also own the domain and run myself.

Jason Lee
04-19-2006, 08:17 PM
I do all of the above. My ISP is my work so... :)

For work email i use direct push from the exchange server.

I have my own domain with 4 different email addresses for different reasons. One is just the admin address which i do not use. one is personal for friends, one is public for places like this, and one is an internet name for anonymous online use. Those are all pop3.

I also have hotmail, yahoo, and gmail. I do not check yahoo on my device most of the time. if i need to i use the web interface. Hotmail i use the builtin mail client. I have 2 gmail accounts, one with my normal name and one with the afor mentioned internet name. I only have the normal name setup in messaging as there is the stupid 8 account limit... :evil: Also my domain admin account is not setup in messaging for the same reason.

So in messaging i have 3 email accounts from my domain, work throuh direct push, primary gmail account, and hotmail, plus the sms, mms and the like.

I also have nPop setup to check all of these email accounts as a backup or to check the ones that are not setup in messaging.
nPop is configured to check all 4 of my domain email accounts, both of my gmail accounts, and my work address.

The hotmail, gmail, and yahoo accounts are mostly used only to access services provided by those people. Blogger, google talk (and everyother google service now), windows messenger, and the yahoo services (which i really don't use but i keep the account around just incase).

I have many other email addresses just because i have signed up for almost every free email service at one time or another just to test it but i have let all of those expire (if they do such a thing) or i just do not check them (or remember how in most cases lol).

I had thought about just using email aliases but i like to keep my email seperate so that i can only check the account that i am in the mood to check. ;) Plus sending email as these multiple personas is easier with seperate accounts as many email clients don't support profiles so you can send email as if you were someone else.

skjohn8
04-19-2006, 08:46 PM
You folks here put me on to 4smartphone - and I've been hooked ever since!

PhilH
04-19-2006, 08:53 PM
You folks here put me on to 4smartphone - and I've been hooked ever since!

Me too! ;)

Zidane
04-19-2006, 09:06 PM
I set up my own Exchange server a month or two back and it works quite nicely. I especially like that I have full control over it, so I can create email accounts for both me and my wife (and anyone else who's interested).

Rod3
04-19-2006, 09:44 PM
I don't do it at all. I do surf a little and check yahoo mail on my Treo, but it's a royal pain to get my POP3 mail on it, and I'd just rather not. I do sometimes use yahoo mail on mine to send messages if they are urgent.

applejosh
04-19-2006, 10:05 PM
I picked the first one, but really it's from all (using Flexmail).

JonnoB
04-19-2006, 10:09 PM
I picked the first one, but really it's from all (using Flexmail).

I love the idea of FlexMail as I miss reading/writing rich text as I do on Outlook on the desktop. It is key to communications that I can't get with Outlook Mobile... but my email is delivered via Server Activesync to our Exchange Server. If Microsoft or through a third party solution can provide a rich email experience with server sync/push to our Exchange Server, than I would be much happier.

bkerrins
04-19-2006, 10:15 PM
I am using Xpress Mail from Cingular http://www.cingular.com/midtolarge/xpress_mail_personal
It's a client that sits on my PC and then will send my corporate email (Exchange) via my cell connection. It's pull email instead of push, but it's free...and quirky.

efjay
04-19-2006, 10:23 PM
I dont think my option is included - my email is hosted with a paid account (not hosted exchange) and handles all my personal email for all my domains.

Jason Dunn
04-19-2006, 10:32 PM
I dont think my option is included - my email is hosted with a paid account (not hosted exchange) and handles all my personal email for all my domains.

Pick option one - I didn't mention Exchange because it includes ALL types of email (POP3, IMAP, Exchange, etc.).

Phillip Dyson
04-19-2006, 10:56 PM
I picked ISP because it is my primary email. However, I access it (usually) through 4smartphone.

That being said I also have email through my domain, and a GMail account.

gavinfabl
04-19-2006, 11:17 PM
http://live.mail2web.com/

I use the above for free push email.

Forward my yahoo etc to it. Free as well.

MitchellO
04-20-2006, 12:53 AM
I have been using Gmail for over a year and it is great! For the first 6mths I used it with Outlook, but then I began to use the web interface and have been ever since. Its so simple, and my mailbox looks the same everywhere I log onto it. And a big bonus is that Gmail now has a mobile version, which works beautifully on my SP5, and the basic HTML version (which is VERY full featured) works great on my VGA Axim.

I recently setup a trial of 4smartphone (I wanted to try the push email) and its amazing! Unfortunately my current provider doesn't support GPRS (which is REALLY weird, but they have the cheapest calls)so I am holding off on buying the $6.99 version, but when I finally have GPRS on my main plan (as opposed to a prepaid SIM that I swap in for occasional GPRS usage) I will certainly consider it :D

ctmagnus
04-20-2006, 05:36 AM
99% of it is via Gmail. But the really important stuff is via 4Smartphone - I use it for pretty much everything but email, which I use it for only two or three times a week.

Stephen Beesley
04-20-2006, 06:24 AM
I aggregate most of my free email accounts into a fastmail.fm account which I then check on my Axim via IMAP.

I have, however, been toying with ditching the fastmail account and doing the same with my gmail account (except using POP3 or the web interface of course!). I really like gmails features but just never really been ready to committ...

ale_ers
04-20-2006, 05:56 PM
I am using Xpress Mail from Cingular http://www.cingular.com/midtolarge/xpress_mail_personal
It's a client that sits on my PC and then will send my corporate email (Exchange) via my cell connection. It's pull email instead of push, but it's free...and quirky.

I use the same thing because my company uses Lotus Notes. I would love to find another alternative push, pull or anything. As you mentioned Xpress mail is quirky and when it goes you have to fix it on you computer, fine if you are just out for a while but if you are on a trip forget it.

Does anyone have a solution for Lotus Notes Email? T mobile used to have a great service that worked through our Lotus Web Based mail, but I can't find anything similar.

Tony Rylow
04-20-2006, 06:40 PM
I've been with 4SmartPhone for a few months now. Before that, I ran an exchange server from my house. I had trouble with being able to send email, due to my ISP. Thats why I switched.

halr9000
04-20-2006, 09:34 PM
I do almost all of the above, but the only thing I really check from my Sprint PPC-6700 is Gmail. Usually I'll do that from pocket outlook but I'll go to the website at times if for some reason a contact isn't in my database and I need to search gmail.

But another thing I'm playing with is using filters to forward selected emails (mostly from my friends and family) to my SMS email gateway, and then use PushMail (http://www-rocq.inria.fr/who/Arnaud.Porterie/projects/PushMail/) to trigger a send/receive. Not perfect, but free.

FWIW I tried both live.mail2web.com and 4smartphone.com. mail2web's I found to be buggy. I liked 4smartphone's a lot, but I'm a cheap b......d so I quit using it when the trial was up.