View Full Version : Has Your Windows Mobile 5 Device Ever Spontaneously Hard Reset?

Ed Hansberry
04-05-2006, 04:30 PM
I was just wondering if anyone here has had their WM5 device just spontaneously hard reset, wiping all data from the device. The reason I ask is I am not sure if it is even possible. I know that with Pocket PC 2000, 2002 and Windows Mobile 2003/SE, it is possible for the device to get <a href="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wigged+out">wigged out</a> and lose power to RAM, which on those devices, will cause data loss. However, with WM5, other than what little bit hasn't been committed to the flash ROM, I think the data has to be intentionally erased.<br /><br />Right or wrong, I think Windows Mobile 5's ROM based model not only helps protect against drained batteries, but against these hard resets. However, I wanted to see if this was justified.

ctitanic
04-05-2006, 04:43 PM
there are two people that have voted yes, but I'm not sure if they understood what you were asking. I thought that what you are saying is not possible in WM5 at all.

Vincent M Ferrari
04-05-2006, 05:27 PM
My Ipaq 2215 did it once.

My Axim X5 did it once.

Mind you I had those two handhelds a combined 3 years. Since moving to WM5, I have yet to have it happen one time. AWESOME.

DarkHelmet
04-05-2006, 05:34 PM
The Dell Axim x50v people who upgraded their Axims to WM5 have reported this kind of problem repeatedly.

I don't think there's any misunderstanding about the question.

The bottom line for Axim x50v owners is that if they "upgrade" to WM5 - they had better not use both slots with memory cards and they better have extended batteries because using a "normal" capacity battery and memory cards increase the chance that the Axim will whitescreen, quickly deep discharge the battery, or result in other inexplicable HARD - HARD - HARD spontaneous resets.

BLECH! Pitoouey!

Come on Dell - fix it!

Darius Wey
04-05-2006, 05:37 PM
I voted 'No', although there was one time I observed a "medium reset" problem with the Windows Mobile 5.0-upgraded X50v.

By medium reset, I'm referring to a complete wipe of registry settings, while all other data still remains intact. It's nothing but an annoyance.

Ir0nman
04-05-2006, 05:39 PM
My x50v upgraded spontaneously hard reset twice on me, since then I have reverted back to 2003. The unit was on my desk overnight and when I powered it up in the morning, I had lost everything and it had done a hard reset, so it is happeneing... I just couldn't figure out why
-Ir0nman

Hx4700
04-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Well maybe not exactly spontaneously -- I was doing Soft resets as I was rebuilding my programs into memory after upgrading to WM2005 on my Hx4700.
So after a very slow response to soft resets I got a Hard reset. And all my programs I had loaded in persistant storage were gone -- nothing left.

So no more HP-Backup program with WM2005.
No backup with ActiveStink 4.1
No Sprite backup - won't work yet with HP protect.

So we're doomed! Doomed I say! All doomed! :cry: :cry: :cry:

buzzard
04-05-2006, 06:21 PM
I did two clean resets on my 4700. The first was to start all over again by loading all programs and tweaks a second time because I didn't like the way Wm5 was working with my first install. It improved "slightly". The second clean reset was so I could dump Wm5 and go back to 2003SE. If HP/MS ever get their collective act's together and fix this Wm5 pig that was offered for the 4700, I may give Wm5 another try.

Peter Traugot
04-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Buzzard:

I would be shocked and amazed if HP were to do ANYTHING more for the 4700. I think the fact that they actually released WM5 for the 4700 was a pitty move because they had already made the initial investment under the previous administration.

It is clear that moving forward, the 4700 will suffer the same fate as all their other "stand-alone" WM/PPC devices.

The new direction is clear; integrated devices.

keirmeister
04-05-2006, 06:39 PM
My first assumption about these results so far is that those who have had a spontaneous hard reset in WM5 were using devices originally made for 2003/SE and were upgraded to WM5.

Is this indeed the case?

pocketpcadmirer
04-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Well, it had once happened to me too, when I used to have XDA O2 mini. It never happened on my good 'ol ipaq 2215 and my new BA

Sunny

DarkHelmet
04-05-2006, 10:14 PM
My x50v upgraded spontaneously hard reset twice on me, since then I have reverted back to 2003. The unit was on my desk overnight and when I powered it up in the morning, I had lost everything and it had done a hard reset, so it is happeneing... I just couldn't figure out why
-Ir0nman

Yeah, that's exactly what I ws talkin' about - thanks, Ironman.

Oh, and I reverted back to WM2003SE too!

It sucks to have bought the CD-ROM only to have Dell ignore us.

DarkHelmet
04-05-2006, 10:20 PM
My first assumption about these results so far is that those who have had a spontaneous hard reset in WM5 were using devices originally made for 2003/SE and were upgraded to WM5.

Is this indeed the case?

Yes. The problem that rankles people about this situation is that the OEMs offered the WM5 CD-ROM for sale to people, took their money, then abandoned them when the people complain that the "upgrade" sucked the usable life (or features) out of their PDAs.

waterboy
04-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Although I didn't have a hard reset on my hx4700 after installing the WM5 :cry: upgrade, other dissatisfactions caused me to revert back to WM2K3SE :) .

A poll to find out how many that upgraded to WM5 have now reverted back might provide some interesting results.

unxmully
04-05-2006, 10:40 PM
My 4700 reset so hard it went back to 2003SE. Spooky how that happened.

But seriously, twice in a week I had a functional device with all my data except that Messaging, Contacts, Calendar, Task and any other built in apps like file manager wouldn't start. Apparently although there was nothing running and around 30meg of ram free, there wasn't enough program memory to start any of them.

Strange how Opera and eReader both seemed to be OK :evil:

It's rubbish. Pure and simple and a waste of the nearly £30 it cost me.

Ed Hansberry
04-06-2006, 03:19 AM
Very interesting results. Had I known the issues as well with the X50, I would have had two "Yes" responses, one for native WM5 devices and one for 2003SE upgrades.

MasterOfMoo
04-06-2006, 10:27 PM
A definite YES.

I upgraded my x50v, and after repeated hard resets tried running with no apps installed (well, none that weren't in the ROM) and still had it occur.

Result - rolled back to 2003, and I've given up on Dell providing anything other than the rollback file on their Support -> Downloads page.