View Full Version : Worst Star Trek Episode Ever?

Jason Dunn
12-15-2005, 09:43 PM
I bought the original Start Trek series on DVD a little while ago, and have been watching the first season. It's more entertaining than I gave it credit for, though I do cringe at the way they assume the viewer is an idiot. Yes, we KNOW that's the "hot woman of the episode", you don't need to start that "va-va-va-voom!" music.

Anyway, I just finished watching "The Alternative Factor", and it was horrible. It's like they let someone on acid direct it. I want my 45 minutes back.

What do you think is the worst episode of the original Trek?

Nurhisham Hussein
12-16-2005, 01:30 AM
"Spock's Brain" - it's another cringer.

Jason Dunn
12-16-2005, 01:39 AM
"Spock's Brain" - it's another cringer.

Haven't gotten to that one yet...I have vague memories of it. I'll be sure to self-medicate before watching it. ;-)

Mitch D
12-16-2005, 03:56 AM
The pilot for Next Generation... Very painful!

Steve Jordan
12-16-2005, 04:31 AM
Absolutely... "Spock's Brain" was the worst of the original series. Of the Next Generation, the entire 1st season bit the big one, but I think the worst was "The Naked Now." (Thank goodness they figured out what they were doing by the second season.)

juni
12-16-2005, 06:57 AM
I liked the pilot to TNG! The only episode (and we just finished the whole DVD set) I didn't like was the one where Riker has some horrible disease where they have to keep him either very happy or very angry. Basicly, it is a flashback episode with nothing new in it. I can't remember what it is called though.

Jason Dunn
12-16-2005, 07:12 PM
The pilot for Next Generation... Very painful!

Yeah, that was SOOO bad. They hadn't discovered their characters yet, it was rough. It got much better though!

buzzard
12-16-2005, 08:43 PM
The worst of my past with the original Star Trek was the one about the "tribbles". I just Googled it and found that it was in season 2 and was broadcast on 12/29/67. I must have been home for Christmas for that one but apparently I had NOTHING to do. :lol:

Sven Johannsen
12-16-2005, 09:37 PM
I bought the original Start Trek series on DVD a little while ago, and have been watching the first season. It's more entertaining than I gave it credit for, though I do cringe at the way they assume the viewer is an idiot. Yes, we KNOW that's the "hot woman of the episode", you don't need to start that "va-va-va-voom!" music.

It was 1966 for pete's sake. That's the year the Monkees had a hit show. Viewers were idiots back then. I know, I was one. Not sure you were even alive.

Mark Kenepp
12-16-2005, 09:55 PM
The worst of my past with the original Star Trek was the one about the "tribbles".

A few years back, A delivery guy was dropping off some drawings in the office while I was talking to one of my coworkers about some bizarre network problem that was happening at that moment. When my coworker asked me what was causing the problem, I replied "I have no idea."

The delivery guy looked at me and said "It must be the tribbles."

I said, "Excuse me?"

His reply, "Tribbles. Ever since I let one loose, problems have been popping up all over."

At this point, he had his signature and he turned and left.

Our company does not deal in quadrotriticale so I did not take his explanation too seriously.

IMHO the "Trouble with Tribbles" was a great episode (one of the better ones). In fact, I think the best episode of any series was "Trials and Tribble-ations," the Deep Space 9 episode where they merged the DS9 cast with the original series cast. (http://www.skotophile.com/StarTrek/)

I would be hard pressed to think of the worst episode ever since it has been a while. I guess I would have to say the one where Kirk, McCoy, Scotty, Spock and Chekov were reliving the gunfight at OK corral.

Jon Westfall
12-17-2005, 03:05 AM
If we want to talk about truly painful things to watch in the world of star trek - watch some of the later seasons of DS9 & Voyager once they ran out of new ideas... Ugh.

If you're looking for an ultra geek companion, try Phil Farrand's Nitpicker's guide. ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0440506832/qid=1134784973/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl14/102-1737342-6187363?n=507846&s=books&v=glance ) My copy is dogeared beyond belief.

i_spock
12-17-2005, 05:50 AM
C'mon now hishamh, gimmie a break about that one, they did steal my *brain* for gosh sakes! :mrgreen:

I can see "The Spectre of the Gun" being called corny but The Alternative Factor had some crazy cool elements (time travel, parallel universes) that were groundbreaking at the time.

Being a Trek geek I can't bring myself to think in terms of what was the worst episode, but I can tell you my favorite- it's a tie between Mirror, Mirror (Spock with a goatee) and Space Seed (Ricardo Montalban and the episode that set up STII: The Wrath of Khan)

What's your favorite Jason?

LL&P 8)

Darius Wey
12-17-2005, 04:54 PM
This thread is enemy territory for me. I'm a Star Wars fan. :mrgreen: <D&R>

Jason Dunn
12-17-2005, 07:17 PM

Tough to say - so far none of the episodes I've watched have really stood out that much...

makezizz
12-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Here's a website that I love which has reviews for some of the most horrible movies and videos of all time.

http://www.agonybooth.com/

They a subsection focusing on the Worst of Star Trek

http://www.agonybooth.com/extras/trek/

Don't Panic!
12-19-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm like Sven I was there for the series debut in glorious Black and White... in my house anyway. :wink: I loved them all at the time but the one I now believe was the absolute corniest is The Paradise Syndrome (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TOS/episode/68776.html).

Jeff Rutledge
12-20-2005, 05:07 AM

I'm not Jason, but my favorite of the original series would have to be "City on the Edge of Forever." An extremely well written episode. What Trek should be.

Darren Behan
12-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Pretty much anything featuring Wesley Crusher in the main plot line was painful to me.

Also like to add that my favorite was I think the final TNG episode where Picard moves back & forth through time. Frankly think more thought was put into that than many of the feature films.

db

KTamas
12-20-2005, 05:19 PM
If we want to talk about truly painful things to watch in the world of star trek - watch some of the later seasons of DS9 & Voyager once they ran out of new ideas... Ugh.

If you're looking for an ultra geek companion, try Phil Farrand's Nitpicker's guide. ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0440506832/qid=1134784973/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl14/102-1737342-6187363?n=507846&s=books&v=glance ) My copy is dogeared beyond belief.
DS9 is the best ST series ever, especially the later series :)
Voyager is okay, enjoyable, but far from DS9's perfection (yes, I *am* a DS9 fan ;)). It has some silly episodes though.
I saw only a very-very few episodes of the original series, but i saw most of the movies i think. About TNG...the first season is baaaaad, very bad. It gets much better in S2, and even better in S3. It's probably my second favorite series.
And Enterprise...Season 1 sucks, season 2 is okay, season 3 is good, and season 4, is very, very good, probably because B&B (Braga and Bergman) didn't touch it too much...except the last episode, which is probably one of the very most worstest ST episode EVER.

Please, someone fire B&B from Paramount...

KTamas
12-20-2005, 05:21 PM
Pretty much anything featuring Wesley Crusher in the main plot line was painful to me.

Also like to add that my favorite was I think the final TNG episode where Picard moves back & forth through time. Frankly think more thought was put into that than many of the feature films.

db
Oh yes, Wes, that idiot. I hate him, it's good that he got less and less screentime as TNG went further and further.

AndyH
12-24-2005, 02:19 AM
Voyager is okay, enjoyable, but far from DS9's perfection (yes, I *am* a DS9 fan ;)). It has some silly episodes though.

I have to agree with KTamas. DS9 Was the best Star Trek series by far and probably my favorite tv series of all time.

andy

***long quote deleted by mod JD***