Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 12-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Worst Star Trek Episode Ever?

I bought the original Start Trek series on DVD a little while ago, and have been watching the first season. It's more entertaining than I gave it credit for, though I do cringe at the way they assume the viewer is an idiot. Yes, we KNOW that's the "hot woman of the episode", you don't need to start that "va-va-va-voom!" music.

Anyway, I just finished watching "The Alternative Factor", and it was horrible. It's like they let someone on acid direct it. I want my 45 minutes back.

What do you think is the worst episode of the original Trek?

Old 12-16-2005, 01:30 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

"Spock's Brain" - it's another cringer.

Old 12-16-2005, 01:39 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hishamh
"Spock's Brain" - it's another cringer.
Haven't gotten to that one yet...I have vague memories of it. I'll be sure to self-medicate before watching it. ;-)

Old 12-16-2005, 03:56 AM
Mitch D
Sage

The pilot for Next Generation... Very painful!

Old 12-16-2005, 04:31 AM
Steve Jordan
Thinker

Absolutely... "Spock's Brain" was the worst of the original series. Of the Next Generation, the entire 1st season bit the big one, but I think the worst was "The Naked Now." (Thank goodness they figured out what they were doing by the second season.)

Old 12-16-2005, 06:57 AM
juni
Sage

I liked the pilot to TNG! The only episode (and we just finished the whole DVD set) I didn't like was the one where Riker has some horrible disease where they have to keep him either very happy or very angry. Basicly, it is a flashback episode with nothing new in it. I can't remember what it is called though.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch D
The pilot for Next Generation... Very painful!
Yeah, that was SOOO bad. They hadn't discovered their characters yet, it was rough. It got much better though!

Old 12-16-2005, 08:43 PM
buzzard
Theorist

The worst of my past with the original Star Trek was the one about the "tribbles". I just Googled it and found that it was in season 2 and was broadcast on 12/29/67. I must have been home for Christmas for that one but apparently I had NOTHING to do. :lol:

Old 12-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor
Default Re: Worst Star Trek Episode Ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
I bought the original Start Trek series on DVD a little while ago, and have been watching the first season. It's more entertaining than I gave it credit for, though I do cringe at the way they assume the viewer is an idiot. Yes, we KNOW that's the "hot woman of the episode", you don't need to start that "va-va-va-voom!" music.
It was 1966 for pete's sake. That's the year the Monkees had a hit show. Viewers were idiots back then. I know, I was one. Not sure you were even alive.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Mark Kenepp
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard
The worst of my past with the original Star Trek was the one about the "tribbles".
A few years back, A delivery guy was dropping off some drawings in the office while I was talking to one of my coworkers about some bizarre network problem that was happening at that moment. When my coworker asked me what was causing the problem, I replied "I have no idea."

The delivery guy looked at me and said "It must be the tribbles."

I said, "Excuse me?"

His reply, "Tribbles. Ever since I let one loose, problems have been popping up all over."

At this point, he had his signature and he turned and left.

Our company does not deal in quadrotriticale so I did not take his explanation too seriously.

IMHO the "Trouble with Tribbles" was a great episode (one of the better ones). In fact, I think the best episode of any series was "Trials and Tribble-ations," the Deep Space 9 episode where they merged the DS9 cast with the original series cast.

I would be hard pressed to think of the worst episode ever since it has been a while. I guess I would have to say the one where Kirk, McCoy, Scotty, Spock and Chekov were reliving the gunfight at OK corral.