View Full Version : Problems With Some Devices Needing A Soft Reset To Turn On?

Ed Hansberry
12-10-2005, 07:00 PM
There have been several posts in various forums about Windows Mobile 5 devices needing a soft reset to turn on. I know this isn't a WM5 issue in particular because it isn't all devices. Neither my K-Jam or JasJar have this problem. I have heard it reported about some Dell and HP devices though. Have you experienced this?<br /><br />If you are having issues, reply in the forum with your make and model number, and if you have witnessed this on a freshly <i><b>hard</b></i> reset device to eliminate the possibility of a third party driver causing this. For example, my iPaq 2210 did this back in 2003 when I had installed the 2002 compatible ThinkOutside keyboard driver. Uninstalling the driver fixed it and within a month or so, ThinkOutside had updated their software.<br /><br />One other possibilty mentioned is the storage card. Try removing that if you have one and see if that resolves the issue.

Clinton Fitch
12-10-2005, 07:07 PM
There have been several posts in various forums about Windows Mobile 5 devices needing a soft reset to turn on. I know this isn't a WM5 issue in particular because it isn't all devices. Neither my K-Jam or JasJar have this problem. I have heard it reported about some Dell and HP devices though. Have you experienced this?

If you are having issues, reply in the forum with your make and model number, and if you have witnessed this on a freshly hard reset device to eliminate the possibility of a third party driver causing this. For example, my iPaq 2210 did this back in 2003 when I had installed the 2002 compatible ThinkOutside keyboard driver. Uninstalling the driver fixed it and within a month or so, ThinkOutside had updated their software.

One other possibilty mentioned is the storage card. Try removing that if you have one and see if that resolves the issue.

I've experienced this several times on my Dell and based on conversations I've had with their support, it appears to be the way the x50v and WM5 (the combination of the two) handle storage cards, particularly CF cards.

It's pretty well known Dell has an issue with memory cards running the battery down if they are installed (so on that plane trip, remove the cards so you don't have a dead device when you arrive - learned that one the hard way). There is something else though in the driver that is causing a problem with the power/soft reset/etc.

I'd really hoped Dell would have released a new ROM by now to resolve some issues. I'm not sure if a new ROM will resolve this issue but that seems to be what they are hinting at.

aNiMeMaN14
12-10-2005, 07:44 PM
I experience this about twice a week with my i-mate Jam... not enough for me to worry, but enough to annoy me. Thing is, when it happens, I'm typically on AIM, and I still hear my buddy list sounds, even though the device is having trouble turning itself back on. :evil:

Paragon
12-10-2005, 08:35 PM
I've had it happen on my ETEN M500 several times....WM2003SE

dswatski
12-10-2005, 09:04 PM
I have seen this a lot on my Dell x50v since installing WM2005. When I go to turn it on, the entire screen is white and it does not respond to anything but a soft reset. This happens even if I turn it off and lock the button on the side. I have also seen it run my battery down to next to nothing.

I have a 1 GB SD card and a 512 MB CF card. I don't consider it an option to just remove the card whenever I remove it from the cradle, though that would be helpful on a trip.

I've also worked through other software upgrade issues related to WM2005 and storage on the memory cards. At this point I am seeing fewer problems running my applications with WM2005 due to memory, but more resets due to the problem described in this thread. I have abandoned one app that I used a lot to work with GPS and replaced it with another for geocaching.

surfer
12-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Jup I had this problem on my X51v but it dissapered when I uppgraded it to the latest rom version.

Raphael Salgado
12-10-2005, 09:31 PM
I have a Qtek 9000 (HTC Universal) and I thought I was getting that same issue... it wouldn't power on until I soft-resetted the device. But then I determined that the culprit was a beta version of PocketX Photo Contacts Pro 4.0 that I was testing for the company. After I uninstalled it, I never had the error again.

So, I bet it may be mostly software related when things like this start to happen.

Foo Fighter
12-10-2005, 09:59 PM
My iPaq rx1950 does this constantly. Curiously only when an SD card is connected. Another problem I have is horrible Wifi connectivity. The iPaq rarely sees my network (protected of course), and here is the best part...if it fails to connect after a few attempts, the network profile disappears. Which means I have to go back and setup/input WEP key settings and the like.

My experience with WM5 so far has been a miserable one. Don't even get me started on ActiveSync 4.

ctitanic
12-10-2005, 10:04 PM
I have been tracing the problem and it appears in almost all WM5 devices no matter what OEM. I also have found that this issue together with the the battery drain issue appears more often in those devices with SPB Pocket PLUS top bar battery metter, SPB PocketPLUS today screen battery meter and resco file explorer battery meter. But disable them does not not fix completely these issues, it just makes them to appear less often. Having SD Cards and CF Cards together with battery meters addins seem to be a deadly combination too.

You can see more info about this topic in these following links:

http://x51v.blogspot.com/2005/11/x51v-mysteries.html
http://x51v.blogspot.com/2005/10/x51v-sd-card-disappearing.html
http://x51v.blogspot.com/2005/10/x51v-bugs.html

Some registry hacks seems to help though they do not fix the problem completely

http://www.tweaks2k2.com/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=8&amp;showtopic=186
http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=104434&amp;page=3&amp;pp=20

The following thread is a collection of tips, some of them very useful for every WM5 device...

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=104366

jglev
12-10-2005, 10:09 PM
There are a couple of huge threads about this over at the PPC-6700 forum on pdaphonehome: http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=58937 . We all thought that is was isolated to our devices, but after reading this, it appears we aren't unique and that the issue is more widespread.

comptonOG
12-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Dell X51V here.... still get the white screen of death after the new ROM update. But The new ROM cut down how often it happens by about 50% which makes the PDA a lot more enjoyable to use now. The battery drain issue is solved now so that is nice too.

ctitanic
12-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Dell X51V here.... still get the white screen of death after the new ROM update. But The new ROM cut down how often it happens by about 50% which makes the PDA a lot more enjoyable to use now. The battery drain issue is solved now so that is nice too.

The battery drain issue still there in A04. I had it like 3 times right after the upgrade. It desappeared once I deactivated the battery metter in the today screen from SPB PocketPlus.

erussell
12-10-2005, 10:32 PM
I keep the SD card popped out of my Dell Axim X51v to prevent problems. Yesterday I forgot and left it in over night - big mistake - I had to do a hard reset instead of soft reset. I'm running the latest WM5.0 update.

ctitanic
12-10-2005, 10:34 PM
I keep the SD card popped out of my Dell Axim X51v to prevent problems. Yesterday I forgot and left it in over night - big mistake - I had to do a hard reset instead of soft reset. I'm running the latest WM5.0 update.

I keep my SD all time in and so far I have not had do a hard reset to get it back to work from any of these issues.

heov
12-10-2005, 10:52 PM
This is a very common problem on teh hp rx1955. There is a HUGE THREAD at the official hp support forums dealing with this. HP says they will release an update "anytime now" for the device.

The is NOT a problem w/ teh HP hx2495, and i'd assume the same goes for the hx2795.

So on HP's line of WM5, only the rx1955 is affected.

However, both devices have the WiFi stays on/battery drain issue.

UPDATE:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=967404

that's the thread i was talking about.

When I contacted HP Support, they gave me the number to their Engineering team and I've been in talks with Jon HasACrazyLastName (lol).

Anyway, the SD Card problem DOES NOT EXIST IF YOU DO NOT CREATE AN ACTIVE SYNC PARTNERSHIP! I tested this for him by hard resetting and not sync/connecting to the computer, and I no longer experienced the issue. I have not simply tried deleting the partner ship, so i don't knwo if that'll work.

The only issue the hx2000 line of WM5 devices is the battery drain problem. There is no can't turn on device problem and there is no "disappearing" sd/cf problem, just the battery drain issue that I think is apperant in all WM5 devices. But who knows.

KTamas
12-10-2005, 10:58 PM
No problems here on HTC Blue Angel, not under WM2003SE and not under various (the joy of having xda-developers.com...) WM5 versions. (okay, to be fair, I had it, like 3 times in 6 months, don't remember the OS)

ADBrown
12-10-2005, 11:42 PM
There are a couple of huge threads about this over at the PPC-6700 forum on pdaphonehome: http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=58937 . We all thought that is was isolated to our devices, but after reading this, it appears we aren't unique and that the issue is more widespread.

This is amusing to me because I've been working with a 6700 for a few weeks now. Mine LOVES to be switched on. I can't stop it from turning on--literally. It switches on all by itself, sitting there on the table, sometimes three or four times an hour. And judging from my Google searches, I'm the only person on Earth who wants the thing to STOP turning on.

jglev
12-10-2005, 11:59 PM
This is amusing to me because I've been working with a 6700 for a few weeks now. Mine LOVES to be switched on. I can't stop it from turning on--literally. It switches on all by itself, sitting there on the table, sometimes three or four times an hour. And judging from my Google searches, I'm the only person on Earth who wants the thing to STOP turning on.

No, you're not. That's another issue, but it's a Sprint issue. We think it has to do with the tower pinging the device. There are a couple of threads about that too over at pdaphonehome, but we digress.

jngold_me
12-11-2005, 12:58 AM
I have this issue from time to time on my K-JAM. I do have PP installed and use the battery meter but I do not experience the battery drain. Until recently I was using SBSH's iLauncher with it's battery bar but decided to ditch it because it didn't support d-pad navi.

I do keep my SD card in permanently as most of my apps are installed on it. I can't believe that it would be the storage card since the "non-turn on" issue happens very intermittantly.

lapchinj
12-11-2005, 01:22 AM
...It's pretty well known Dell has an issue with memory cards running the battery down if they are installed (so on that plane trip, remove the cards ...
Very interesting, I'm one of those people on the other side of the "pretty well known" tracks. I have to try that out so I can get an idea of how much juice in the battery is left with and without the cards installed.

I noticed the fact that a couple of times I had to reset my x50v to turn it on but I just thought that it was just one of those things that 'happen' every once in a while. This is one of those things that make a person wish that they didn't flash the ROM with WM5. I don't regret (yet) the upgrade but I think that I was happier and had fewer anomilies with the previous OS. I guess that's part of what comes with the bleeding edge that so many of us get a high out of :hippy:

Jeff-

that_kid
12-11-2005, 02:22 AM
No problems with my jasjar or apache(sprint 6700). So far my apache has been very very stable, even better than my harrier which was also very stable.

Foo Fighter
12-11-2005, 03:36 AM
Arg! This thread has become a caldron...brewing a rant within me! I don't know if it's just this iPaq, or an indication of flaws within WM5. If it's a case of the former, then I can say without hesitation that the iPaq rx1950 is hands down the absolute worst mobile device on the market today...and I mean worst. We're talking Palm-Size PC bad here.

I bought this damn thing mainly for the coveted form factor, and integrated Wifi. All I wanted was a basic no-nonsense PDA with integrated Wifi for gruntwork wirless connectivity in the home and office. As it turns out, this iPaq (or WM5) is worthless for anything but. Aside from the annoying habit of refusing to turn on presented in this thread, and the Wifi amnesia problem I indicated earlier, I have had to endure incredibly long sync times. Has anyone else noticed this problem too? When I dock my iPaq, it connects fairly quickly (I emphasize the word fairly), but it takes like 5 minutes before it actually begins syncing data. During that time the ActiveSync window displays a message saying "Looking for changes", which stays in that state for like two to five minutes, then and only then will it transition to the sync queue. AvantGo takes FOREVER to sync, as does the pathetic WMP integration. Whatever you do, DO NOT sync your music playlist.

As I said, I don't know if it's just this iPaq or whether WM5 as well as AS4 have some serious issues, but whatever it is someone screwed up in a major way. The rx1950 is completely worthless and I would advise ANYONE here NOT to buy one. I wish I could eBay the darn thing, but I cannot in good conscience peddle such a product to anyone else, knowing what it is. Such as it is (or should I say suck as it does) this will probably be my last Pocket PC handheld.

Funny thing is...I just bought a Palm TX and it works absolutely flawlessly. It syncs..it connects to my Wifi network INSTANTLY...it turns on when summoned. All while running on Grandpa Garnet. Funny, that.

horray
12-11-2005, 03:44 AM
I started experiencing this yesterday after I've installed SPB GPRS Monitor on my Dopod 900. Everytime I turned on the device, it would not turn on or just a white screen. I have soft reset the unit so many times since then.

Just uninstalled the SPB GRPS Monitor but have not really tested it. Let's keep my fingers crossed it is okay now. 0X

Canuck
12-11-2005, 03:49 AM
I've done the rant bit before so I won't go there again, but I had this problem a lot. I found it happened when an alarm went off and I wasn't around to see it. It would kill the whole battery and go white screen. I found that by using the extended battery and deleting all of the reminder bells from my recurring appointments, the problem seldom happens.

Sorry to lead off topic, but now the problem is that Pocket Internet Explorer won't work. Last night night I deleted the cache, and it powered off before completing. Now nothing will bring PIE to life. That and the media player won't read my CF card made me resolve to do another hard reset (my 4th in 3 months). By the looks of this thread looks like I have some reading to do before I take that step.

Canuck
toronto

Darius Wey
12-11-2005, 03:53 AM
When I dock my iPaq, it connects fairly quickly (I emphasize the word fairly), but it takes like 5 minutes before it actually begins syncing data. During that time the ActiveSync window displays a message saying "Looking for changes", which stays in that state for like two to five minutes, then and only then will it transition to the sync queue. AvantGo takes FOREVER to sync, as does the pathetic WMP integration. Whatever you do, DO NOT sync your music playlist.

Where large databases are concerned, Windows Mobile 5.0's sync is generally slower (though not 5-minutes kind of slow). Are you running ActiveSync 4.0 or 4.1? If the former, check to see you don't have any firewalls making your connection funky as that can lengthen the sync time. You might also want to upgrade to v4.1.

Darius Wey
12-11-2005, 03:59 AM
Anyway, to keep on topic, I've encountered the 'soft-reset/turn on issue' about 5% of the time on my E-TEN M600 (E-TEN is aware of the problem). I've also seen the white screen problem on many X50v's upgraded to Windows Mobile 5.0.

Seems like these issues apply to almost all Windows Mobile 5.0 devices, whether it be due to a problem with the OS directly, tweaking performed by the OEM, or third-party software interfering with the OS.

heov
12-11-2005, 04:44 AM
Arg! This thread has become a caldron...brewing a rant within me! I don't know if it's just this iPaq, or an indication of flaws within WM5. If it's a case of the former, then I can say without hesitation that the iPaq rx1950 is hands down the absolute worst mobile device on the market today...and I mean worst. We're talking Palm-Size PC bad here.

i couldn't agree more. i've been ranting in the HP ipaq section of these forums about how crappy this device is. cept i went from the tx to the rx1950 and now to the hx2495, and although the hx2495 is nice an all, i may go back to the TX simply cause i'll save 100 bucks.

Anyway, the rx1950 wouldn't be too bad if it had more ram, an xscale, and none of this sd card lock up stuff this thread is about. in fact, they should have just released wm5 for the 4100 series.

anyway, when i was talking to the engr team at HP regarding the sd card issue, he basically told me he doens't know if it's software or hardware, and they're still diagnosing the problem. I wouldn't expect a ROM update till Feb 06 for this device.

horray
12-11-2005, 05:58 AM
I started experiencing this yesterday after I've installed SPB GPRS Monitor on my Dopod 900. Everytime I turned on the device, it would not turn on or just a white screen. I have soft reset the unit so many times since then.

Just uninstalled the SPB GRPS Monitor but have not really tested it. Let's keep my fingers crossed it is okay now. 0X

Update: My device appears to be okay since I uninstalled SPB GPRS Monitor. Thank goodness for that. :oops: :roll:

xdev
12-11-2005, 06:53 AM
this happens intermittently on my Orange SPV M5000 (universal)
its really really annoying, because there is a problem with the software that deletes all recent changes to your text message inbox when you reset!!!!! for example if you have deleted messages, they will magically reappear in your inbox, or if you have recieved any new messages they will disappear...this problem has been documented over at xda developers.

note i have NO extra software installed, no drivers etc....its just plain vanilla WM5.
i do however have a 512mb sd card.

thunderbass
12-11-2005, 07:06 AM
WM5 certainly has its issues. I'm having this problem every day or two, but haven't spotted a pattern yet. No way am I taking my storage cards out of my X51v when I'm not using it! They'd get lost in no time. Bottom line is, WM5 is too easy to crash when certain things happen.

Muntasser
12-11-2005, 11:22 AM
x50 + WM5 = WSOD

Jonathan1
12-11-2005, 12:30 PM
[Sarcasm Mode=1 /HIGH]

Its a good thing that WM Cobalt is such a high quality upgrade.

[Sarcasm Mode=0]

Seriously though. I'm I the only one no longer remotely interested in WM5? At this point I think I’d rather go into the dentist for a root cannel then get a WM5 device. I seriously hope that MS releases SP1 for it. Right now the number of people with problems does NOT sound like one off issues.

PaulGGG
12-11-2005, 02:26 PM
I don't have many problems with my x51v. Owned for about 1.5 weeks now, tried a lot of software, and am running a decent number of programs (on today screen alone: wisbar advance, resco today plugin, pocketweather &amp; pocketbreeze etc.).

Have only seen WSOD maybe twice, and I think it related to using the cradle.

The only crashes I had were with older programs that obviously need rewrites to work with WM5. And Microsoft Reader stared locking up recently (I think due to some changes I made on my SD card where my lit's are), but a reinstall fixed it.

I have no battery drain issues. Altho I only have an SD card, no CF yet.

I have no power on issues, it reliably comes on and off for me.

One thing I did, was install the latest ROM update as soon as I got the device. Maybe that made some difference? Or maybe I'm just lucky.

What I wonder is - why do some people's devices seem to work better tyan other people's? Are these devices not made on an assembly line uses the same components, running the same OS etc.?

It's just really weird.

Honestly, I think WM5 will get ironed out and within a year it will be better than past WM versions. I personally LOVE that my data and programs don't go bye bye if my battery was to get drained. That is really a nice advance. Probably my favorite thing about WM5.

alese
12-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Never had a problem with my Qtek 9000 (Universal). I do have 1Gb SD card in all the time, but I don't have much today plugins (only UpTime) and Magic Button has battery bar...

Foo Fighter
12-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Seriously though. Am I the only one no longer remotely interested in WM5? At this point I think I’d rather go into the dentist for a root cannel then get a WM5 device. I seriously hope that MS releases SP1 for it. Right now the number of people with problems does NOT sound like one off issues.

No, you're not alone Jonathan. WM5 never held much interest for me to begin with, but it did hold great promise in terms of stability and overall refinement to the platform. After having used it in the flesh, I can best describe it as one step forward...five steps back. Stability? Hmm. Well ok, maybe it is more stable...when it's actually running. ActiveSync 4 takes syncing to all time low; perhaps we should spell it SINKING now instead of the proper context. The UI changes Microsoft has made are somewhat gutting as well. I don't like the way in which the former menuing system (File - Edit- Tools) are now buried away in submenus. And as a result of changes made to Windows Mobile's theme engine the UI shell now takes on the colors of the bloody theme in operation. I for one do not like staring at pink and baby blue scrollbars. Not only is this an ugly transition, but it's also less readable. I keep looking at the WM5's interface and thinking.."this is the best they could do?" I dare say I prefer 2003se. It was more managable and less dumbed down.

What hast thou done to our platform, Microsoft?

ADBrown
12-11-2005, 08:38 PM
I don't have many problems with my x51v. Owned for about 1.5 weeks now, tried a lot of software, and am running a decent number of programs (on today screen alone: wisbar advance, resco today plugin, pocketweather &amp; pocketbreeze etc.).

Well, just when I was starting to think that I was the only one who'd had a positive WM5 experience.

I don't think it's the ROM, as my X51v is a pre-production device running A01. I never touched a thing about it, and it ran fine.

Something that I have noticed is that the vast majority of complaints I see about the Axims are against the X50s, not the X51s. Also against the earliest PPC phones like the Apache, devices that may have been developed under WM2003SE. This causes me to wonder, is there some kind of issue where the problems are caused by using drivers developed under SE with 5.0?

wmtop
12-11-2005, 08:48 PM
HX2495 - All lockup and battery drain issues solved 2 weeks ago. Here's how:
- Created a "fake" Exchange Server connection.
- Told it to NEVER try to sync with it.
- Deleted the "fake" Exchange Server.

No more problems. Now, I'm a happy iPaq/WM5 camper. :)

alese
12-11-2005, 10:39 PM
... The UI changes Microsoft has made are somewhat gutting as well. I don't like the way in which the former menuing system (File - Edit- Tools) are now buried away in submenus. And as a result of changes made to Windows Mobile's theme engine the UI shell now takes on the colors of the bloody theme in operation. I for one do not like staring at pink and baby blue scrollbars. Not only is this an ugly transition, but it's also less readable. I keep looking at the WM5's interface and thinking.."this is the best they could do?" I dare say I prefer 2003se. It was more managable and less dumbed down.

I guess it depends on your perspective. I use my Qtek 2020 daily as phone and PDA for the last 1.5 years and even though it's a good machine, the WM2003 UI for a Phone Edition device simply sucks. Ever tried to do something one handed, possibly in gloves - not possible.
So when WM5 was announced I was glad they decided to change the UI and add the soft buttons. Now I have the WM5 machine also, and although it's not perfect it's much better for one handed use than before.
The UI changes were one of the main reasons I waited for WM5 instead of getting 2003SE device - I want my phone edition to have usable interface even without the stylus.
As for colors - just don't use the pink theme, find a grey one I'm sure there are few out there.

KTamas
12-11-2005, 10:46 PM
... The UI changes Microsoft has made are somewhat gutting as well. I don't like the way in which the former menuing system (File - Edit- Tools) are now buried away in submenus. And as a result of changes made to Windows Mobile's theme engine the UI shell now takes on the colors of the bloody theme in operation. I for one do not like staring at pink and baby blue scrollbars. Not only is this an ugly transition, but it's also less readable. I keep looking at the WM5's interface and thinking.."this is the best they could do?" I dare say I prefer 2003se. It was more managable and less dumbed down.

I guess it depends on your perspective. I use my Qtek 2020 daily as phone and PDA for the last 1.5 years and even though it's a good machine, the WM2003 UI for a Phone Edition device simply sucks. Ever tried to do something one handed, possibly in gloves - not possible.
So when WM5 was announced I was glad they decided to change the UI and add the soft buttons. Now I have the WM5 machine also, and although it's not perfect it's much better for one handed use than before.
The UI changes were one of the main reasons I waited for WM5 instead of getting 2003SE device - I want my phone edition to have usable interface even without the stylus.
As for colors - just don't use the pink theme, find a grey one I'm sure there are few out there.
When i saw the first WM5 screenshots, i was like "WTF? Two buttons? Gosh, this is PPC, not a Smartphone...". But then I've started to use WM5 (phone edition), and i have to say i love it. The ability that you are able to do a LOT (having start/ok-close/left and right softkey and built-in keyboard) without touching the screen on a Phone Editon device is very, very useful. I have just installed the latest WM5 ROM and i'm pretty sure i'M not gonna go back to 2003SE again. Not sure about a non-PE device, but on PE, it is a killer feature, and i love it.

Foo Fighter
12-12-2005, 12:40 AM
The problem with the softkey system is that it still remains up the hardware vendors to support them, as well as one-handed navigation. This iPaq for exaple has ZERO support for either. Meaning you have to tap on the screen to activate the menus, and the D-pad does nothing other than scroll. One a well designed Phone Edition model with FULL one-handed support, yeah it is blessing. But on a POORLY designed standalone PDA softkeys and the buried menu system can truly be a sucktacular experience.

nosmohtac
12-12-2005, 12:46 AM
[quote="Jonathan1"]Seriously though. I'm I the only one no longer remotely interested in WM5? At this point I think I’d rather go into the dentist for a root cannel then get a WM5 device. I seriously hope that MS releases SP1 for it. Right now the number of people with problems does NOT sound like one off issues.[/quote

Usually I am an early adopter(if funds allow) but I'm quite surprised by the poll results, that 77% of users here don't have a WM05 device. I would have that that number to be much higher. I guess it show how well informed people in these forums are, to the point that many weren't willing to move to a newer buggier OS.

Foo Fighter
12-12-2005, 12:53 AM
I guess it show how well informed people in these forums are, to the point that many weren't willing to move to a newer buggier OS.

Or didn't find a compelling reason to upgrade. I think that is largely to do with the dwindling standalone PDA choices out there, as well as the fact that many users are waiting to jump on the smartphone bandwagon. For myself, I see less reason to use a standard PDA. On the other hand, there are times when a full blown Smartphone just isn't necessary or practical (size issues). I use a Treo 650 myself, but I find myself wanting to buy a small sleek cell phone like the Motorola RAZR for those times when I just don't want to carry a bulky PDA Phone, like social occasions (the bar, club, parties, friends house, etc.)

I can see why Smartphones don't appeal to everyone. For me a Smartphone not only has to work like a real phone, but often I want it to LOOK like a phone...not a geeky looking brick.

Foo Fighter
12-12-2005, 12:56 AM
As a side note, don't you wonder what the upcoming platform revision will look like? The thought of Microsoft merging the Pocket PC and Smartphone variants into one unified interface fills me with excitement and concern. What must this thing look like? :worried:

nosmohtac
12-12-2005, 03:35 AM
I agree with you Foo Fighter. I haven't jumped on the converged device bandwagon yet. The main reason is, as you pointed out, my desire to not always have a brick type phone. It would sometimes be better than carrying two devices, but I don't have any GSM carriers in my area. This would be the only way I would likely go to a converged device. I could then easily switch the SIM card to a RAZR type phone when I didn't feel like or need to carry the "brick". I know this is off topic, but the Treo 700 does look very appealing, but with the WM05 drawbacks along with the smaller screen size, I don't know if this could replace my PDA.

I also agree with you that the choice of devices with WM05 is less than appealing. Here we are at the end of 2005 and there is nothing exciting out there that is running this new OS. It makes me wonder why MS didn't hold out on it a little longer, fix more of the bugs and just call it WM 2006.
I understand that some (maybe most) of the issues are on the hardware side, but in that case the OEMs should have waited to put these devices on the market.

KTamas
12-12-2005, 05:39 AM
As a side note, don't you wonder what the upcoming platform revision will look like? The thought of Microsoft merging the Pocket PC and Smartphone variants into one unified interface fills me with excitement and concern. What must this thing look like? :worried:
Iiii don't know...I wonder how will they solve the problem that smartphones does not have a touchscreen....and the today screen versus home screen...we'll see.

alese
12-12-2005, 09:59 AM
I also agree with you that the choice of devices with WM05 is less than appealing. Here we are at the end of 2005 and there is nothing exciting out there that is running this new OS. It makes me wonder why MS didn't hold out on it a little longer, fix more of the bugs and just call it WM 2006.
I understand that some (maybe most) of the issues are on the hardware side, but in that case the OEMs should have waited to put these devices on the market.

It's funny how people always react negativelly.
I don't think there are no exciting new devices out there. I remember posts here and on other sites from people saying that something like Zaurus Cxxx line with keyboard and convertable screen would be exactly what they want - you have Universal - with phone/UMTS...
Then there were people saying small phone with keyboard would be the one - her are the Wizzard, iPaq 65xx and upcoming Treo. I think there are many more choices of different form factors and configurations than ever before and with some pretty exciting new designs coming in 2006...

Similary saying Microsoft should wait with WM5 is basically putting them into no win situation. People were complaining about waiting for WM5 for months before the release, saying they won't buy the "old" machines as they would be rendered "obsolete" few weeks later by release of new WM5 machines.
There are huge treads about lack of upgardes for existing machines where people are complaining because their machine is not on the upgrade list.
And now that is released the WM5 is no good, buggy, slow and Microsoft should wait, I guess if they would, there would be a thread with 100 posts about how they can't deliver on time...

I believe that most of the problems with WM5 comes from two things, bad/incompatible software that people put on their machines and an upgrade not done well (Dell x50).
I have ZERO issues with my WM5 Universal, and the only time I have to reset it was after I installed incompatible piece of SW and when I changed the setup to Real VGA. In the meantime my WM2003 Himalaya had a spontaneous hard reset for no reason and no new SW installed.

Please don't get this the wrong way. I'm not saying WM5 is perfect , I don't work for Microsoft, I can't even say that I'm a fan. But it's not all bad and it's not all Microsoft's fault.

beecher
12-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Guys, are you all with this problem using WiFi (have switched WiFi on before switching device off)? If so, before turning off your device, turn manually WiFi off. I have discovered this because I'm not using WiFi so much, so this soft-reset-to-turn-on issue never happen to me (I'm using just BT), and once I had the WiFi on my X50v with WM5 turned on and then that happened.

nosmohtac
12-12-2005, 11:41 AM
................... But it's not all bad and it's not all Microsoft's fault.

I'm sorry if I struck a nerve with you. You're entitled to your opinion and I to mine.
I think the HTC universal is very close to the perfect converged device, but as I said in my earlier post I don't have GSM coverage where I live, and the closest thing to the Universal on the CDMA side (I believe) is the PPC 6700 that's offered through Sprint. Sprint has the worst coverage in my area (of the three CDMA carriers), and even if Verizon does pick up this device, they will likely cripple many of the features that make it a great device.
I'm glad that you have had good luck with your Universal, and I am a little jealous at the same time, but what is offered or available on one side of this world isn't always offered on the other side.

I don't work for MS either, and you are likely quite correct. It isn't all bad, and it isn't all their fault.

Ollie03031
12-12-2005, 12:49 PM
I have the Dell X51V and have had all of these problems and others. I have updated to A04, have performed the ActiveSync fix, have removed all Today screen plug-in and now only use PocketBreeze. Whit all that the X51V is almost stable. ActiveSync is very slow. I have over 2000 emails and when I do a Hardreset (almost one a week) It takes a day to reload email with an ethernet connection. To sync with only 5 to 10 new email it can take up to 30 minutes to connect, look for changes and then do the update. I use IMAP4 account for email.
Currently I only use the X51V when I don't have any plans for an hour or two. I also have the upgrade CD for my iPAQ 2755 but no way am I going to mess up that device until I see signs that the problems in WM5 are fixed. The 2755 with 2003SE is my main work device. I though the X51V was going to be.
Also what is with the desire for persisant storage? It writes slower, has limited life - so don't let your battery go dead and make a backup often.

alese
12-12-2005, 12:56 PM
................... But it's not all bad and it's not all Microsoft's fault.

I'm sorry if I struck a nerve with you. You're entitled to your opinion and I to mine.
I don't work for MS either, and you are likely quite correct. It isn't all bad, and it isn't all their fault.

You haven't struck a nerve. And my comments were not aimed directly at you, it's just that if they would not release it people would complain again, just as they do now.
As for my Universal - believe me it's not perfect, I don't want to use it as a phone it's to big, heavy and clumsy - but it's also great gadget and runs well.
And I know that in Europe with GSM we are more fortunate when it comes to converged devices - standards are good sometimes :-) but on the other hand, you guys in USA have much cheaper stuff than we so I guess it evens out :wink:

Sven Johannsen
12-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Also what is with the desire for persisant storage? It writes slower, has limited life - so don't let your battery go dead and make a backup often.

For four years I've been reading gripes about, I let my batterry die and everything is lost. What's up with that? This is crap. Now it doesn't, and we get, what's the big deal. :roll:

There are issues with every new OS, and this one is a significant change, to the point that many apps need tweaking before running right. My Jasjar and K-Jam run fine, with many of the items that folks have implicated as the problem, or a contributor. I also have a Dell X50v that I have not upgraded. Don't really trust Dell to have gotton that right the first time, based on previous Dell upgrades. But, heaven help Dell if they had said that they weren't going to upgrade the unit, because the felt it wasn't going to work right. The BS flag would have been flying high.

seaflipper
12-12-2005, 06:34 PM
This is a very common problem on teh hp rx1955. There is a HUGE THREAD at the official hp support forums dealing with this. HP says they will release an update "anytime now" for the device.

The is NOT a problem w/ teh HP hx2495, and i'd assume the same goes for the hx2795.

I have this problem with my hx2495. I have the EXACT same problem that all the hx1955 people are having. The fix (temporary) for me was to remove the SD card and not use it. I was using a Sandisk 1GB Ultra II card if that makes any difference, but I certainly had the problem with hx2495. And have not had any issues with it since not using the card....

robert_biggs
12-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Many of the people complaining of these symptoms over at Aximsite have a high capacity/high speed memory card (1 GB 60x or more). I bet bad drivers is the main issue. Most people with small, slower, or no memory cards do not experience these problems (or at least not nearly as often). ActiveSync trying to constantly sync may also be a contributor.

Stonecut
12-17-2005, 11:32 PM
I was having this problem for a while too. I have a Dellx50 with 1 gig sd ultra 2.
When I pulled the battery and cleaned the contacts the problem dissapeared!
It was acting up for about a week prior to this, and hasn't reappeared for about 2 weeks as yet!

tritan
01-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Has there been an update for this problem. My work is looking at getting a new dell x51 with WM5 and now I might tell them to hold off if the device is going to turn on by itself. I can't find updates on this issues any where? Is this the same on the new rz1955? Any new devices without the issue?

robert_biggs
01-10-2006, 02:24 AM
It seems the problems with not turning on and battery drain go away if you set up an Exchange Server ActiveSync partnership on the device and set the sync schedule to manual. The partnership doesn't even have to be with a real server. It is neccessary to create a server partnership in order to change the sync schedule settings (otherwise the option is grayed-out).

globaloffice
01-12-2006, 08:38 AM
It seems the problems with not turning on and battery drain go away if you set up an Exchange Server ActiveSync partnership on the device and set the sync schedule to manual.

Correct. This fix solved the issue with my Treo 700w not powering back up also, so it does indeed look like a WM2005 issue.

Link here:

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=112638&amp;page=1&amp;pp=20