View Full Version : ActiveSync 4.1 processor/cpu usage

mexthree
11-30-2005, 01:12 AM
I've noticed my new installation of ActiveSync 4.1 is constantly using approximately 6-10% CPU while idle. The process name is wcescomm.exe.

This is abysmal! Does it happen for many other people? I've recently found an article on the issue here (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&title=how_do_i_kill_the_activesync_process_wha)

I'm fairly sure 3.8 did not do this to such an extreme level and I can see no reason why any application like this should be using CPU in this way.

Some third party really needs to make a syncing utility for PocketPC's - clearly MS is not up to the task.[/url]

Darius Wey
11-30-2005, 01:54 AM
Mine constantly hovers around the 0% mark. I'm using a Pentium-M.

heov
11-30-2005, 02:02 AM
Mine constantly hovers around the 0% mark. I'm using a Pentium-M.

same.

right now it is using 0% of the current 3% that's jumping around. 988K of ram. pretty good if you ask me. I havne't had 3.8 installed, or any active sync for that matter, prior to 4.1.

also on p-m.

also i think the cpu usage "number" next to the process is how much that process is hogging of the total cpu usage. so if you cpu usage says 1%, and system idle processes says 99, i assume that means system idle processes is using 99% of the total 1% cpu usage, right?

regardless, i dont' have any issues w/ as4.1 :)

Janak Parekh
11-30-2005, 03:42 AM
I've noticed my new installation of ActiveSync 4.1 is constantly using approximately 6-10% CPU while idle. The process name is wcescomm.exe.
What do you mean by idle? Every version of ActiveSync I know uses 5-8% of CPU when a device is cradled and idle, and 0% when not cradled (and idle). And yes, I agree -- I don't understand why at all.

also i think the cpu usage "number" next to the process is how much that process is hogging of the total cpu usage. so if you cpu usage says 1%, and system idle processes says 99, i assume that means system idle processes is using 99% of the total 1% cpu usage, right?
Not exactly. The System Idle Process is not a real process; it's a "fake" process representing the portion of the CPU not being used. 99% of System Idle means that every other process, combined, are using 1% of the CPU's time.

--janak