View Full Version : Rumor: T-Mobile USA to Have Universal & Wizard?

Jon Westfall
10-25-2005, 03:00 PM
We've been getting some nice reports (anonymous of course, don't want to get any T-Mobile reps in trouble) that T-Mobile USA (yes, USA) might be getting both the Universal and the Wizard by the end of the year (Optimistic reports were saying by the end of this month). I don't know how much fact there is to this, and I really don't know how much I'd want to buy a T-Mobile branded device after the h6315 fiasco with them. Any T-Mo reps want to contact me with some details? All Information will be reported anonymously of course!

Paladin27
10-25-2005, 04:26 PM
That would be spectacular if they did! I've had the aforementioned h6315 from Tmobile since it was released last year. I don't think the issues around this device were so much Tmobiles fault as they were HP's, so hopefully with the HTC devices Tmobile might come out better this time. *fingers crossed*

SteveHoward999
10-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Wow - that's exciting. It would be evenmore exciting if I could get *any* service from T-Mobile locally. About the only place I get a reliable signal is MacDonalds and anywhere I have to fly to ... Chicago, Atlanta, Washington etc etc , but nowhere that I spend any time at in south Mississippi. Grrrrr ....

NYC567user
10-25-2005, 05:01 PM
That is also what my T-mobile corporate re tells me. Supposedly they are testing this with their EDGE NY antennas....hmmm nice...
ETA? Depends on testing and if any bugs..but I have not been given official dates...just rumors..

jgalindo
10-25-2005, 05:02 PM
great news! (if it is true) Hope they have a discount for signing up with them another year.

10-25-2005, 05:13 PM
Don't you think that has more todo with HP than T-mobile?

Silver5
10-25-2005, 05:42 PM
I would definitely be interested in these devices if T-Mobile releases them. I actually already have the Wizard and it is VERY good as a device, though not as fast as having EVDO. A few hundred dollars off of the price just for signing for another year would fine with me...

TheZodiac
10-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Dont count on it.

mashtim
10-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Dang! Every time I've had enough of the waiting and about to pull the trigger on a Wizard, one of these rumours pops up!

I guess I'll put up with theh6315 for a bit longer. The carrier subsidy is worth it, I reckon.

Besides, this way I'll be able to hold both devices in my hands and make my final decision. Of course, that is assuming T-Mobile will have HTC toss an EDGE radio into the Universal for US deployment.

Here's hoping that any US rollout happens sooner than later!

DaleReeck
10-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Of course, that is assuming T-Mobile will have HTC toss an EDGE radio into the Universal for US deployment.

Yes, I would think that it would have to a special version of the Universal since the current models all have UTMA on board. Not only does T-Mobile USA not have any support for UTMA, but even if it did, it's the wrong version of UTMA. On the Universal, it's 2100 MHZ (as in Europe), not 1800 MHZ like Cingular is testing in North America. Or vice versa. I forget which MHZ belongs to which continent.

MG
10-25-2005, 07:26 PM
I can't imagine that anyone would buy a Universal in the US that can't roam off T-mob's network. It's not Quad band, plus no high speed network. How would buy that?

Mark

DaleReeck
10-25-2005, 07:31 PM
Most of T-Mobile's phones in the USA are triband. Last time I checked at least. So apparently, roaming isn't a problem.

SteveHoward999
10-25-2005, 07:42 PM
I use a British-version Nokia 6100 which is triband. It roams just fine with T-Mobile everywhere I go in the US - it just doesn't work worth a bleep in my home town!

GadgetGirl
10-25-2005, 08:11 PM
An EDGE capable HTC Universal would be awesome.

gibson042
10-25-2005, 08:41 PM
GSM bands? UMTS bands (if any)? EDGE? color? I will remain on the edge of my seat waiting for more news.

My wallet feels lighter already... :deal:

PdaAddict
10-25-2005, 09:33 PM
Exciting news, indeed! I would definitely replace my HX 4705/Treo 650 combo with HTC Universal.

Jon Westfall
10-26-2005, 12:03 AM
Just a note, we've gotten more rumors that one of the devices will be named the T-Mobile Vario (The Wizard varient) possibly. Why can't they just call it the T-Mobile Wizard or T-Mobile Universal and make it easier???

Darius Wey
10-26-2005, 03:52 AM
Just a note, we've gotten more rumors that one of the devices will be named the T-Mobile Vario (The Wizard varient) possibly.

That sounds about right. T-Mobile Netherlands just launched the Wizard as the MDA Vario, and I wouldn't be surprised if that name stuck for a USA release.

PetiteFlower
10-26-2005, 04:49 AM
Why can't they just call it the T-Mobile Wizard or T-Mobile Universal and make it easier???

Because different carriers can't *possibly* carry devices with the same name as other carriers have. That might make it too obvious that they're all the same device with different branding *rolleyes*

HobbesIsReal
10-26-2005, 08:26 AM
Now, throw in any rumors that Sprint will offer it with EVDO and I would happy! 8)

JAmerican
10-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Have you guys seen how many HTC Universals are out there for multiple companies. If they can modify the color and software for each company, they probably will make a US vversion without UTMS and with EDGE. Replace the chipset. Pessimism gets you nowhere.

One more thing, why would Gates show the Universal to an American audience if it wasn't going to be in the United States? It would be kind od pointless wouldn't you think?

JAmerican